Sunday, August 23, 2020

Zinnias!

 We heard voices coming from the middle of the sunflower field, so Mrs. F.g. went exploring to see what it was.  It only took her a moment to come back and get me.  We made our way carefully into the middle, and there was a great big flower garden!!

Inside that patch of sunflowers were a lot of different types of sunflowers, like this many-bloomed one, forming the walls of a huge open room.

And the room had big patches of three different types of flowers - Cosmos, Marigolds and Zinnias, which were the ones in bloom now.  And they were all for sale.

If you were a drone up in the sky you'd also see that they were laid out in the pattern of a giant flower, and the attendant said is took AGES to plant them all in that pattern.

I had never seen so many Zinnias, nor realized that they were so colourful.  We've just never grown them.

There was a booth where you could pick up a bucket and keep your flowers fresh.  You could pick sunflower blooms too.  When the flowers die back in the fall they allow visitors to take away as many sunflower heads as they want for birdseed.

We had noticed lots of bees and butterflies bouncing around everywhere, mainly Cabbage Whites and yellow Sulphurs.  And they reminded you to watch out for the bees!

With the camera screen blown out by the sun I felt lucky to catch this bee.

And I was amazed to catch this Sulphur butterfly, as they were bouncing constantly.

Before and after selfies from this morning.   I looked like the first picture, but with a full head of hair, when My brother in law first gave me the nickname nearly 50 years ago!




9 comments:

  1. My zinnia's are just bountiful this summer. They are among my favorite flowers. THe cut flowers last for ages in a vase too. I highly recommend them if you want lots of color in your late summer garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I love all the flowers. Sunflowers and the Zinnias are beautiful. I keep some Zinnias in a pot on my deck, they are colorful and attract the butterflies. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure don't look very furry right now, Furry! Love the pretty zinnias and wish I could see them from a drone's view. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so much younger in the second picture!
    The zinnias are so pretty. I planted some seeds this year and they must have put the wrong seeds in the packet because a completely different flower came up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers, it's good you could get there in your chariot. You'd probably look best with a beard of intermediate length. What happened to the hair on you head, it's not there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those zinnias are so bright, what a delight to find a whole field of flowers. I did save some sunflower seed last summer, and need to grow more this year. Love the selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think we have ever planted Zinnias either. Looking at your photos I'm thinking maybe now we should. I always figure selfies are good for what ails ya. Before long you may be thought of as the Furry Chrome Dome Gnome instead of just the Furry Gnome:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. The late summer flowers brighten the day when the leaves are beginning to look their age now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look like a different person...younger.
    Love all you flower pics.

    MJ from Florida

    ReplyDelete