Friday, August 7, 2020

Day Lilies

The Day Lilies have been blooming the past couple of weeks, and are nearing the end of their flowering season all too fast.  They're so bright and colourful, they're really a highlight at this time of year.  And they were the undisputed star of our former garden.

One of my favourites, with prolific two-tone blooms.
The Day Lilies are mostly down the side of our house, interspersed with Hostas.  These houses were built with swales, a little dip between each house for water runoff during heavy storms, but over time some of the swales are sinking, creating more of a V-shaped ditch than a gentle dip.  So I can't safely drive down past the Day Lilies to enjoy them.  We're trying to figure out how to fix this.
Day Lilies come in a range of colours, but I like the bright ones.  Since she's always trying to do things for me, Mrs. F.G. mostly purchased bright ones.
We plan to relocate most of these to the new back yard where I'll be able to see them easily in any case.
Just in case you don't grow Day Lilies yourself, their blooms really do last just one day.  You have to go out and deadhead to keep the plants looking good.  Some dedicated Day Lily growers deadhead in the evening even though the blossoms still look good, knowing they will have wilted by morning.

If not for that swale beside the house you'd probably have seen a lot more Day Lily pictures the past two weeks!

I complement these pictures with memories of the large patches in our former garden where the Day Lilies (and the False Sunflowers here) grew in profusion!  Have a great weekend!




14 comments:

  1. The daylilies in the first photo really are beautiful. It shouldn't be too difficult to regrade the swale to make it a little less deep but still function as it should. Just don't fill in the swale; one of our neighbors filled in the diversion at the back of his house to make the yard level -- during heavy rains the water flowed across the yard and in through the basement window. Unplanned indoor swimming pools are a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're magnificent - especially those two-tone blooms. They'd brighten up any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, had so many Day Lilies at our previous home, one, Ming Porcelain, a delicate pale pink almost translucent, was the first one I bought. I had to leave so many behind, and now have a deep yellow one flowering, way too early I thought, but then the bearded Iris flowered as well. Maybe they think summer is already here. Your deep burgundy one is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glorious colour! Gotta love summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love day lilies but don't have any here at the house. Had lots of them in town though. Yours sure a pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Day lilies are certainly one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just glorious...I am especially fond of the very first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful flowers, and the bright colors are eye candy for me, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you, I too like the bright ones. I think maybe our day lilies down here have passed their prime time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Daylilies and yours are stunning. I've never seen any like the one in the first picture.
    My son cut away some portions of a few of mine today ( too crowded). He had a hard time. They have such dense hard root systems. I heard that spade handle crack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful garden. You two obviously have green thumbs!

    ReplyDelete