Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Downtown Again

Here at home one of the briefest heavy showers we've seen this summer passed over, but the sun came out quickly again so Mrs. F.G. is out there starting to plant more things.  And I did get downtown the other day, picking up a coffee at my favourite coffee shop, The Kitchen, and riding down to the harbour to relax a bit.  

I'm beginning to think of these two bollards at the bottom of Nelson Street as my own private entrance to the harbour; it's a nice place to start my ride along the water.

It was a very calm day in the inner harbour.

I continue to be fascinated with this long line of boat bollards and the hanging chains down the edge of the cement wall.

The chains are there to hold these floating docks that haven't even been installed this summer, because there's very little call for them.

And quite a few sailboats have never been put in the water either.

The tug the R.A.Hoey sits at the end of the harbour wall, next to Richardson Boats.  It's been in the water all last winter, but I've never seen it out, not even last year.  I wonder what it's used for.

And at the other end of the inner harbour is the Trowbridge Street bridge, the last of the three bridges over the Bighead River to get rebuilt.  I'm hoping they'll include an accessible sidewalk to get to the other side of the harbour which is out if bounds for me this year.

The machinery they use to fix the sides of and underneath the bridge is quite interesting.  

And before I started down the harbourside walk I was surprised to see a kayaker come out of the river mouth, heading for a paddle in the bay.  Nice day for it.


10 comments:

  1. Nice tour of the harbour; somehow boats are always fascinating subjects. I think every new development in England now has to be made wheelchair accessible. In places this leads to absurd situations where new stretches are wheelchair friendly but you can't actually get on to them at either end! However we are slowly getting there - and about time too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Beautiful scenery and photos! I like seeing the boats and the water. Looks like a great day to be outside! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have quite a range now with your battery! That was a nice walk/ride you took us along on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. There is something so calming being by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That harbour looks so inviting but isn’t very busy. Covid has affected everything this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to be able to sit there and what the boats, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you can get along the harbour like that. I like the last picture with the sailboat masts in the background and the lone kayaker in the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole place is very inviting. Your pictures show the variety of interests that are around the harbor. I especially like that first picture. Nice angle and color. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day! We've had storms just miss us so often.
    There is something about being by the water!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I have noticed on our live Exeter radar weather map that you guys have been getting a fair bit of rain up your way lately. A few empty sailboat slots in Bayfield's harbor but to me it looks to be about as full as any other summer.

    ReplyDelete