Sunday, August 16, 2020

Planting Around the Patio is Underway

Even as I write the first plantings around our patio are underway.  Mrs. F.G. is out there, plotting where she wants each plant to go and getting the first ones in.  Our young guy helper was here this morning doing some of the heavier work.

So to get started we headed over to Westside Nursery on the far side of Owen Sound.  Here the Head Gardener is contemplating which perennials would fit in.

I meanwhile was somewhat limited to the harder wider pathways, and also limited by my limited horticultural knowledge but I looked around happily.

But I was close to a single Coneflower that was sitting down low and I even managed to get a close-up of it.

I was more likely to look at garden fixtures like this.

Soon Mrs. F.G. had the cart loaded up with about a dozen mostly different perennials.

And they started to total up the damage, not as much as I feared.  They sent us off across the parking lot to pay at the main greenhouse.


They had a nice patch of Brown-eyed Susans in their own garden, and I couldn't resist taking photos.  We had lots at our previous home but I could never decide whether I liked the big picture or a close-up better, so you get both.

Here at home the plants are all lined up waiting for decisions on where each one will go.  It's a challenge keeping in mind how big they may get in 3-4 years, and arranging them from tallest in the back to shortest in the front.  But give us those 3-4 years and this place will look terrific!

Meanwhile today was another jam day here.  Mrs. F.G. ordered Black Currants from Goldsmiths and picked them up on Thursday.  Today she made 16 pints of Black Currant/Raspberry/Blueberry jam, my favourite and her own unique mixture.  We're set for the year!

And today it's raining and probably going to rain all day.  No gardening for us.









17 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Looks like Mrs F.G. picked out some beautiful plants for the new garden. I love the Coneflowers and Brown-eye Susans The jam sounds yummy. Take care, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting to see how the area develops as it is planted this year and beyond, FG.

    I haven’t started preserving yet this year. Just delaying the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that little pagoda thingie. I think I need one for my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your pictures, but especially I am happy to see how the garden is coming along, with the Master Gardener in charge, it should be wonderful to see! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite the busy day between landscape selections and making preserves.
    Nice pictures that capture the happenings.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are having a busy summer. All those plants will fit in somewhere and all will look greater. The jam production is wonderful. We use to do cherry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the brown eyed susans! You'll have to post photos of the finished, planted project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, for one, am glad you included all the versions of the Brown-Eyed Susans. I have always loved them. That is a lot of decisions to be made with the planting. But I look forward to the results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That nursery looks like one where we get most of our shrubs and perennials. Love those Rudbekia, we have a mass of them in our front flower bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a fun day!! Hope Mrs FG got everything she wanted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always a fun thing to pick out plants at a nursery then head home and decide how and where to arrange and plant everything. Good times:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. We missed most of the rain yesterday.
    I love planting. This is the time of year for nursery sales, I hope, for your sake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many beautiful plants to chose from. Looks like a great nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure it was enjoyable for you and fun for Mrs. F.G. to pick out the perennials. Looking forward to seeing their placements. The pictures, distance or close up are lovely.
    Nice to have homemade jams and jelly for the coming year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are certainly beginning with mature looking plants which should yield good results quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my, the jam sounds yummy! The picture of the forlorn boats made me sad as they seem to be a reminder of what used to be but isn't now.

    ReplyDelete