Wednesday, August 19, 2020

The Beach is Getting Repaired!

 I continued along the waterfront past the museum and on to the two tiny beaches.  Turned out it was an active day in the outer harbour, with a class of kayakers returning to port and several fishermen.  And they were finally repairing Fred Raper Park! 

The kayaker was moving right along, out past the breakwall and into Georgian Bay.

But there were other boats too, like this big motor launch.

And this class of kayakers with an instruction boat nearby and another boat on the horizon.

And a trio of lazy fishermen.

There were fishermen onshore too.

But when I got nearly to Fred Raper Park my way was blocked by these construction vehicles.  I hope this means they have cleaned up the little park area that was damaged so badly in last fall's storms, though I can't see it from here.

You can see some places where they've placed small rocks to fill in damaged spots.

Heading home I was surprised to find the tourist booth in the Big Apple open.  This young lady was happy to pose for a picture.

And on the sidewalk a Black Lives Matter stencil, though I haven't heard of any local protests.  The focus here has been on Owen Sound and its annual Emancipation picnic.  I think our Canadian focus should be on indigenous people who we have treated very badly as much as the black community.


13 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a nice day to roam and see what was happening in your community.
    Definitely agree about the protests. Something many Canadians tend to forget.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the outdoors.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that waterfront, then the big apple cart, what a delightful young lady with some goodies for sale. safe with her mask on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the picture of "Three Men In A Boat" - the setting is very different but the mood looks much the same as Jerome K Jerome described.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I was going to be in your sweet town for my sons wedding this coming weekend, but it just isn't happening for us. I hope the weather stays magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great area for water sports. What a great place for an excursion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favorite picture is the fishermen on the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was a beautiful day to be out and about, no wonder the shore was a busy place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope they fixed the park and made it accessible to everybody. I like the tourist booth picture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I have said so many times, we are so fortunate to live beside the big bodies of water we do. How nice to have such a diversity of views. Hope they are making that Park accessible for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a day of pleasant weather. I like those laid-back fishermen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kayakers training! That's cool! A nice day on the water sounds great.
    I'm happy that they are fixing up the park area too, hopefully you'll be 'strolling' along there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks as though the park is going to be really repaired. You may be impressed! Our ocean is eating away at all the shorelines as it rises.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopefully the repair work goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete