Thursday, August 20, 2020

National Photography Day! (Yesterday!)

 National Photography Day was yesterday and I missed it.  The idea is to submit a single photo that symbloizes your place in the world and share it with the world.  When I read that I immediately thought of all the pictures I've taken walking in the woods or canoeing around Ontario - mostly right here in the valley..Soi I went back to my old photo files and this is what I came up with.

Red Trillium taken back in the days when I could get down on my knees to get this perspective,  on a wildflower hike along the Bruce Trail about km. 112.8 in the Beaver Valley section.

For me this photo symbolizes so many things.  The month of May, the nicest time of the year to be out in the woods, a time of renewal and rebirth in spring.  It symbolizes so many walks we've taken, all the way back to when my mother took me for walks when I was young.  It places me out in the woods, in nature, a places of calm and peace.

This photo is about Ontario and all the incredible natural habitats we have from one end of the province to the other.  It's about learning from others for I was shown this beautiful location to see spring wildflowers on a Bruce Trail hike.  It's even about the thousands and thousands of people who are at this moment overwhelming our parks and hiking trails, enjoying more time out in nature.  Crowded conditions sometimes, but I'm glad to see so many people showing an interest.  Hope all those natural spaces are still there for them to enjoy years from now!

Makes me look forward to next year!


14 comments:

  1. Red, I had always thought Trilliums were white, maybe the only colour down here when they are for sale. Yes, it symbolises so much, I wonder how may others read a whole story into a single photo. Beautiful focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are actually about Five colours of Trilliums that have been bred but I like the one in your picture.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a gorgeous trillium! I can still get down on my hands and knees. But it’s a frightful struggle to get up again these days. Put a reminder in your diary so you can enter next year? X

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely trillium, I too thought they were white.
    Thanks to blogland friends I now know better :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and a lovely reason why you chose this one photo.
    Thankful that we live here at Happy Trails and have the whole woods to ourselves. We feel like we are always on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand why you chose that flower...so much joy that one photograph symbolizes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that makes two of us who missed National Photography Day. In fact I don't think I had even heard of it before. But then again, I haven't heard of a lot of things. Nice photo you chose and the Trillium is Ontario's Floral emblem first chosen back in 1937.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful symbol of the joy of nature! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,

    Beautiful photo, I love the Red Trillium. Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a brilliant red color and so different from all the trillium I see around here. I LOVE your picture! It's perfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you're not the only one who missed photography day; but I took lots of photos anyway.

    ReplyDelete