Thursday, August 27, 2020

Late Summer Wildflowers

We had a wonderful drive down to Misty Meadows Market in Conn yesterday, the big new Mennonite-run store where you can buy all the foodstuffs you'd want including piles of fresh vegetables.  We take the backroads, so the drive is as enjoyable as the store!

But before I share that with you I do want to go back and document the late summer (almost early fall) wildflowers around here.  These are the plants that many would call 'weeds' and mow down because they think it looks messy, but they help make my life interesting.  In fact four of the little patches of wildness on my walks have been mowed down this summer, severely limiting my ability to see these plants.  

I do want these plants documented for future reference, but it is a picture heavy post, so just skip over it if you want and come back tomorrow.

We really did have a great time yesterday and I have lots of photos to share.  These Scottish Shorthorns on a farm near our previous home in the valley were very curious and friendly.

It's the Goldenrod that pushed me to write this post.  I've always seen it as the first real plant of fall, and once the fields turn yellow I know that the weeks of cooler temperatures are here and the leaves will begin to turn colour.  Our former back yard meadow was full of it.  It marks August more than any other plant for me.

This is a Mock Strawberry, with both leaves and flowers very similar to Wild Strawberry - except for the bright yellow flowers (and a tiny fruit that is very gritty).

Sweet Peas blooming in a nearby ditch.

Common St. John'swort, often used to treat depression.

This is the only Sweet Clover I've seen this year thanks to the mowing of a couple of patches.  Usuaully it's 4-6 feet tall!

Common Mallow, this one a pale mauve in colour.

Bull Thistle, one of our two common thistles.

Red Clover, a plant said to have a lot of medicinal benefits.

This Spotted Knapweed is definitely one of the prettier flowers among all these, but it's a tough invasice plant too.

Creeping Charlie, often a weed that spread (creeps) across our lawns, but I think this is the first time I've seen one in bloom.

The seedheads of Goat's Beard, like giant dandelion puffs.

Joe-Pye weed, sometimes called Queen of the Meadow, an interesting plant with leaves in whorls around the stem.  Do you ever wonder where these plant names come from?!

Daisy Fleabane, like a daisy but with very fine tiny petals.


Queen Anne's Lace, perhaps the most common August wildflower until the Goldenrods come into bloom, but there is still lots around.

And finally the Chicory, a beautiful blue but a tough 'weed', in bloom now for several weeks, and I think the most beautiful picture among all of these.

Hope at least some of you enjoyed these!

12 comments:

  1. Love posts about wildflowers. Many people don’t see them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wild flowers too. The ditches along my country road are a revertible show through the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing with those of us that are now seeing a lot of Tar and Cement. Nature has its own beauty.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos of the late summer flowers -- sometimes I think the development of the power mower was a big mistake, perhaps their use should be restricted to those who make their livings from farming. Don't think I've ever seen Scottish shorthorns with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful picture post, lovely to see them all.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos. Starting to see the golden rod around here too.
    I think the chicory is so pretty. I always forget the name of them. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now if only I could remember all those names.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed them all. I love wildflowers, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your wildflowers! I like Chicory too the color is awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We spent all of our Swiss lockdown watching the wildflowers grow and bloom. Because the flat was for years only used for short ski trips the garden has basically been left to do as it likes, and the grass mown to keep it tidy. But now we know that what the garden likes is to produce a mass of fabulous wild flowers.
    There’s a patch of chicory by the side of the road. Always in the same place. It’s the most unpromising looking spot you ever did see but the chicory obviously likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely documentation of the flowers. My fave are the shorthorns, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The late summer wildflowers are beautiful. Nice photos, and great job on the ID's!

    ReplyDelete