Tuesday, August 25, 2020

iNaturalist and the NCC's Bioblitz

I've signed on to the NCC's (Nature Conservancy of Canada's) week-long Backyard Bioblitz which involves seeing as many different species of plants, animals, birds, insects and so on as you can during a one-week period, It started on Monday and hundreds of people across Canada are taking part. I'm finding that it's really interesting even though I'm very limited in what I can see from my wheelchair.

In order to participate you have to download and use the iNaturalist app on your phone.  I figure this is another step in expanding my electronic literacy too; I don't want to fall TOO far behind the millenial generation.  The iNaturalist app lets you take a picture of what you're seeing, helps you identify it, and keeps track of what you've seen.  Your observations get submitted automatically to an enormous international database of observations, with appropriate quality control   Currently over one million people are using the app, and it's accumulated over 40 million observations.

This is the starting screen for the app, simply listing the species you've identified so far.  I had to load the app on the ipad in order to use my phone to take a picture.  It looks a lot smaller on the phone, and I'm not carrying my ipad around to take pictures! There are a number of screens you can go to from there.

The main screen is the observation screen, where you can take a picture or use a picture from your phone's files.  Once you do that it goes to a screen with the details, like species, location, whether it's cultivated or wild and what projects, if any, you're part of.  At the moment my observations get automatically sent to NCC's Bioblitz.

The interesting part is the help it gives you with naming the species.  It brings up a list of suggestions so you can pick one.  For each suggestion detailed descriptions are available, so you can check these if you're unsure.  You do have to work a little, because the top suggestion is not always the right one.  In fact, in a couple of cases none of their top 10 suggestions have been right.  Luckily I know enough about plant and animal species to know what I'm photographing anyway.

The app gives you a number of other screens to help.  On this map of the area where we live, the green tear-drops represent submitted observations - green for plants, red for insects and blue for birds and animals.  Those green teardrops on Nelson St. West and those on the golf course are my observations (location is not always super accurate at the local scale).

I'm finding this an interesting challenge to add to my excursions, even though they are short and local.  It makes you feel part of something bigger in the broader community, it draws on past skills I've developed, and it keeps me sharp, both in species identification and online literacy.  So I'm really enjoying it even though this is only my second day using it.

The Camino de Santiago challenge which requires me to ride the equivalent distance of the Camino pilgrimage is a little similar, though I'm wondering if I've bitten off an unrealistic goal.  I've accumulated over 70 km. so far, but at this rate I'm not sure if I'll even be finished the total 780 km. by the end of next year!  And it's pretty passive, simply entering the km. you've ridden each day.  Still it is challenging me.

I've also entered the Meaford Hospital 5k Run/Walk for September.  It's virtual this year, so I just have to cover that distance one day in September and let them know.  Of course I'm supposed to find sponsors and raise money for them too, but I've hardly started that part.  They also have a prize for the most accumulated km. over 19 days starting Sept. 1st, so I'm going to keep track of that too.  

All of these things are keeping me busy and making life more interesting.  I also stopped in and renewed my library card this morning so I'm ready the first day the new totally accessible library opens.  I can't wait to be able to get into the stacks and choose books from my favourite authors!  I just wish they'd have a built-in coffee shop.







14 comments:

  1. I'm happy to contribute to your hospital run/walk challenge. Just let me know how. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do very little with my iphone other than make calls and send texts. I just got it and the learning curve is not easy! This sounds like a great challenge and something that falls into your interests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me to find challenges too FG. I hope to challenge myself on my bike when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great that you are finding all these things to do. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an interesting app for peeps like us!! it's great that you search out fun things like this, to keep your mind sharp!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you're finding fun and interesting things to do outside. Even though your garden is still quite new, there are probably a host of insects using, and eating, your plants. Butterflies and Moths of North America is accumulating a database of species and their locations you may also find that interesting to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be a sponsor too, but please remember I will be in NZ dollars and have to convert to Ca dollars. So easy to do if I can use Paypal. Plants, I still have the book my Dad gave me on NZ native trees, when I was 10 in 1950!! All these online excursions and projects I am thinking will become a normal; and very popular part of everyones' life from now on with social distancing and face masks mandatory on public transport down here from Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, with challenges. It's a great project, thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FG - I really like iNaturalist. I think it is great that you are doing this, making a contribution to citizen science, and observing the natural world! Kudos! Also well done on the racing challenges, whether you reach that goal or not, you are staying positive and doing something to keep you interested and involved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW - I like the identification feature a lot, especially with insects and plants. It's amazing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will sponsor you too. Just let us know how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's great you are pursuing all these positive endeavors and Fall is a great time for learning new things. Always beneficial to keep one's mind focused on educational things. Sounds like you have some interesting fun challenges coming up. I had a smart phone for a couple years but couldn't seem to get a handle on it. I had a pogo stick once but couldn't seem to get a handle on that either.

    ReplyDelete