Thursday, February 11, 2016

Winter Fences

Now that I'm finished the story of Kimberley Forest and Wodehouse Creek, it's back to some old-fashioned winter photos of the seasons.  Tonight a few of the fences I've noticed over the past few weeks.

These three were on the edge of the Glenelg ski trails, on a bright sunny day when even the wires cast shadows on the white snow.  I've only been here in the winter, so I don't know if this is active pasture.

But I know this field is pastured, 'cause I've seen cattle here in the summer.

Lots of fences here, as this is the Alpaca farm I walked past a couple of weeks ago, with it's big triangular paddocks, and some snow-covered stone fence on the right there.

You'll just have to take my word that this is a fence!  It's an old stone fence, built quite carefully,  about 3-4 feet high, and 5 feet wide, and completely buried under the snow.

A gate into an old farm homestead; you can see a bit of old foundation in the distance.

And another farm over the fields.  This was taken on a frosty day back in January.

****

A bitterly cold day here, with a little fresh snow and more to come tomorrow.  We woke to -20°C this morning, and it's colder than that now tonight.  But I got my internet service restored.  Turns out our router/modem were dying, so they came and replaced it this morning - for free no less!  And it's working fine.

Linking to:

19 comments:

  1. Winter looks well settled in there. The deep freeze has come in here as well. I find myself wondering what the tracks are in that third shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fine fences amidst all the snow. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that your internet is restored. I don't have to worry that you might disappear. Wonderful fence pictures! I admire the blue sky in so many of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brrrr.....It all looks so pretty but I know it's cold. Your winter fence shots are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty assortment of fences covered in the snow. We had 75 degrees today. Much better tan snow to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos ! We aren't that cold down here but cold enough -10C with the wind chill -19C BRR the sun did pop out for a bit this evening and it was nice to see it set at 5:45pm and not get dark till well after 6 pm . Thanks for sharing , have a good evening and stay cozy in this cold snap !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty fence images. It looks too cold for my taste but pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've lived on a few very old homesteads during my lifetime. The relics that were left behind like fences barns etc began my early interest in historic farms. I appreciated your photos and the old homestead patterns that still reside on the land. Very interesting. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've lived on a few very old homesteads during my lifetime. The relics that were left behind like fences barns etc began my early interest in historic farms. I appreciated your photos and the old homestead patterns that still reside on the land. Very interesting. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something extra nice about a fence in the snow. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is sooo cold, and what a dumping of snow.I love those shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, lovely winter scenes and fence shots. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear you got the modem replaced and all is well on that score. -26c here yesterday morning but supposed to be much warmer by Tuesday. It's always this time of year that I'm sick to death of winter and snow. Thank goodness for all the seed catalogs that come in the mail. Stay warm. The barn photo is my favorite. I also always love a bright day that gives us shadows of even the barbed wire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice snow, fence, tree and shadow shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. some rickety old.....but pretty fences!! it is cold here today 22 degrees, all our snow melted previously!!

    pretty captures with lot's to look at!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a dream about snow last night, but unlike yours mine melted by morning. In reference to your comment on my post about the float cabin, there are several posts about Wayne's telescope under the category of "Astronomy." Right now the skies are too cloudy most of the time and the air too cold and moist for the scope to work well. Spring will be here soon and it will get to come out from it's home in the kitchen for some exciting sky watching. Maybe it will help Wayne dream up a new scifi book idea. - Margy

    ReplyDelete