Wednesday, February 24, 2016

February Fences

I could go on sharing waterfall pictures for about two weeks, but you'd probably get bored with them.  Here are a few fences I've spotted in the past couple of weeks instead.

This is one of my favourite winter fences - a rather dilapidated board fence that casts neat shadows on the white snow on a sunny day.  Doesn't look like much at any other time.

I see a lot of fences like this, stretching far back across the fields, or down the side of the road, with those posts so close together.

This is a community pasture, just south of Walter's Falls that I always notice when we drive by; it's on my route to Owen Sound.  The barn has been retained, but there's no house.  Sometimes you do see cattle here in the summer months.

It's quite a nice barn, and in quite good shape.  I don't think I've ever seen those triangular buttresses out from the corners of an old barn, but hopefully they'll help keep it upright for a long time.

For the first time I noticed this small new windmill, obviously to provide water supply for any grazing cattle.  I don't think there's any hydro here anymore, but it's a beautiful farm looking west across the rolling fields to the big barn.

****

The storm started slowly this morning, and then it snowed quite heavily for several hours, turning our world white again.  But it's fine snow pellets rather than large fluffy flakes, so it's not very deep.  We had a gap for a few hours, but now it's snowing gently again.  Tomorrow I'll be out blowing the driveway again.

Linking to:

19 comments:

  1. There's something about winter that brings out the crispness in shots- especially shadows against the snow. Terrific images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shadows in your first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what a really lovely scene, when does spring show up there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, great shots. I love the shadows on the first fence photo. Enjoy your day and the weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful winter pictures.
    It has just start snowing here again too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that creak old fence in the first picture, and you reminded me of snow fences I've known and loved in Colorado. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. we're getting rain here, help...we need an ark!! hehehehe

    all of these images are beautiful but that first one is wow, i really love that one. it's so rural, country, don't you want to live here looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like a good fence, and pretty snow, as well as the barns, but the waterfalls are the best!!!!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos ! I never get bored of your lovely photos ! Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fences. They do show up much better when there is snow and sunshine for shadows. The barn is a beauty with its stone foundation. We had freezing rain then thunderstorms and now rain here. Really weird weather for February.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty snow scenes! The second one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow snow again...I feel for you. I'm enjoying some sunny days here after many days of cloudy gray skies and rain.
    Very nice fence shots. The first 2 really caught my eye. That's a nice looking barn too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. they're beautiful. love that shadow shot and the long line-up. the barn is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the higgledy-piggledy look of the shadows of that first fence. (How's that for a word?) Love looking at fences stretched out like the one below it, and what a fine barn that one is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting construction with the buttresses on the barn foundation, have never seen anything like it on a barn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely selection you've shown.
    I always like the way shadows work and can add to a photo.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos! Love the fence composition.

    ReplyDelete