Thursday, February 4, 2016

Old Farms

One of the interesting features of Kimberley Forest is the evidence you come across that this land was once partly farmed.  Though the steep forested slope in the middle was never cleared, both above and below this were several farms, or at least farm fields.

The most common evidence are short straight rows of large old Sugar Maple trees. 

These trees, in at least 3 different spots I've seen, are in such straight lines that they either came up in fencerows, or were planted.

If I were hunting for old homesteads, near these lines of big old trees is where I'd look first.

There's one old set of farm buildings left, though they were sold off as a private residence.  There's the old ruined barn foundation, a jumble of barn boards, and the old silo.  The intact barn behind it is across the road.  The house is just out of sight on the right.

More common are old bits of cedar rail fencing, some in quite good shape, and some fallen down.

It's certainly been a very long time since any cattle grazed in here!  That's Wodehouse Creek running through the upper part of the property.

This fence, in a completely forested area, looks even older to me.  It's a genuine old 'snake' rail fence, built without fence posts.

And there's one old farm lane bounded by lines of trees, though it runs down to a farmhouse that is off the property.

There's also an unused sideroad, though it's one place ATVs access the property.

The fact that this property was expropriated 4-5 decades ago for a public use, and has never been put to that use, does leave some understandable resentment in the local community.  As we try to improve the management and care of this public land, we hope to also honour the memory of the original families who farmed here.

Again tonight my computer worked fine all  day, but got tired by evening, and decided it could not connect to the internet.  Thank goodness for my laptop!  Our unreasonably mild temperatures have gone below freezing again, which is a big improvement, but there's very little snow in the forecast, which means no skiing or snowshoeing for now.  Not a very nice winter at all!

Since it's Thursday, and I have several appropriate pictures, I guess I'll link to

Good  Fences.

If you're just joining us, this series on Kimberley Forest started two days ago.

18 comments:

  1. Lots of great shots here today. I enjoyed the fences and the barns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed viewing your great shots today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I enjoyed your lovely pictures, too. I am on hold waiting for Apple Care. It's been the second time today, with no help the first time. This is getting very, very old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos . Sounds like your PC may be giving up the ghost if you were able to use your lap top on the same service provider or it was all just a fluke lol !. Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely, every one, but where the ATV trail is, that is my pick, It leaves me with lots of " Imagine back when?", and the memories those trees hold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing your part of the world...enjoyed these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The old fences really evoke times gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think trees often come up on fencerows, but perhaps farmers just leave them there when they lay out the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beautiful set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why have so many farms been abandoned?
    I thought you might enjoy these images of gardens from the BBC website. Hope the link works http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35476291

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your photo of the snow covered fence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting --when I sit and think about the families who used to farm there... I'm sure there is resentment--as there is in our country when lands become part of the Govt/States... BUT--seeing your line of trees/old fences made me think about times when we are out hiking in the mountains and come upon old homesteads/property like that. One time we even found an old cemetery WAY back in the mountains... Lots of history.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so enjoy those old farm relics, and it's fun to think about those who used to farm the land, and to put up their boundaries. Thanks for your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos and scenery. There's something about bare trees over winter that I find structurally fascinating - so many photo possibilities :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. really wonderful old fences! loved the views and farm history there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a great area to explore. If you haven't seen Tom Wessel's books "Reading the Forested Landscape" and "Forest Forensics", they're well worth the time spend reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello!:) Lovely scenes of the lines of trees and old fences.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder what the area looked like 100 years ago, I guess I often think that around here. I was stressed the other day, I cannot remember what a neighbors barn looked like...it must be in my memory someplace but I can not recall it:(

    ReplyDelete