Saturday, December 31, 2016

Hug a Tree This Year

There`s a tall strong tree where I enter the woods on the farm next door for a walk that I often stop and hug or at least say hello to.  It`s become a symbol for me of our oldest son, killed a year and a half ago fighting a forest fire in northern Alberta.  In the weeks after his death I would walk this trail, and hug the tree, simply trying to stay in touch with reality.

The hurtfull side of the grief only strikes occasionally now; instead it`s been mostly replaced by a deep sense of love, not just for Will, but for our other son and daughter, their families, and all our other relatives.  I`ve become so much more convinced of the importance of love, and staying in touch.  That`s Will`s tree on the far left.

The little adventures I go on, the snowshoeing, the hikes, skiing, and photo expeditions, are all my way of building a connection with Will into every day.  For Will, every day was an adventure, so I try to live the same way, though with much quieter and easier adventures!

The dreams I had when we retired faded for awhile, but they`re coming back now, seeping back into my mind whether I like it or not.  Books I`d like to write, photography ideas, travel we`d like to enjoy.  I think it`s all reminding me how Will followed his dreams, and I still need to do so as well.

So I`m looking forward to a better year ahead, filled with loving memories and continuing to stay in touch with loved ones.  So hug a tree this year, and make the extra effort to stay in touch with your own loved ones, follow your own dreams, and make every day an adventure.  Can you picture me there hugging my tree?

Happy New Year Everyone!  May we all contribute to making it a good one!


19 comments:

  1. Grieving takes many shapes after the loss of a loved one. The biggest one being finding something to fill the void to take their place. With time we feel the object is them in another form. Share your love with the rest of your family the affection you will feel will be much more gratifying.
    Wishing You and the rest of the Family a Safe and Happy New Year.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your tree is one way to commemorate Will's life in a nature enriched place, and with love and memories, he is always with you. I, too, am hoping for a better year, we are already into 2017 down here, Sunday at 2.30 p.m. grey skies, maybe even a drop or two of rain, and a cool wind. Greetings to you and yours for the New Year and all the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! I like how you're keeping the memories of your beloved son alive. Don't stop following your dreams....I hope you'll do some of those things you've thought about in 2017 - and blog about it! Happy New year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid it's after dark right now on New Year's Eve, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to hug a tree for Will. But I will do it, for sure. Love the post and its positivity. Let's have a great year ahead, what do you say? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year. all the best in 2017. Keep on hugging that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tribute -- I'm often reminded of a quote from "breaker Morant" -- "Live every day as if it were your last, for someday you'll be right."

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way you found to be close to Will. Yes, I can picture you hugging that tree.
    Have a wonderful and happy new year.
    Glad that we are blogging buddies. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful, beautiful post! What a lovely way to remember your dear son, Will, when you go for your woodland walks. I agree that we need to spend more time with our loved ones and also stay in touch more. Take care and I wish you a blessed year ahead. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish you and your family a happy New Year 2017. Let this year be a happy one:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful lesson for all of us, FG. Thank you for sharing your wisdom! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i always take pause, when i read about will. i am happy to read that some of that pain has been replace with deep feelings of love. i have been called a tree hugger, i am a lover of nature, like you!!

    i hope you always hug that tree, when you enter the forest!! wishing you happiness and love in 2017!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year to you and yours. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post and insight into how nature provides solace. I visit an enormous old oak that has become a storage place for thousands of acorns placed there by woodpeckers. Even in it's declining years it is providing sustenance for nature's animals and comfort to those of us who need it. Have a healing New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my...what a lovely post Furry...you certainly have a way with words.
    I will definitely hug a tree...
    Cheers to 2017...

    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hugs to you FG, because, well ... it just seemed appropriate.
    Happy New Year and best wishes for health and happiness through 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great tribute to your son. I am sure he is well aware of your love and memories. We have a plot of woods on our property full of large Cedar and Hemlock---I will remember one for your son.
    Happiness in the New Year
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well said! What ever it takes to keep on going for those who are still alive! Hug all the trees you want! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thoughtful and poignant. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete