Thursday, June 29, 2017

Unique Solstice Sunrise

A disembodied voice called me out of a deep sleep on the morning of the solstice 10 days ago - there was a nice sunrise to see.  I think I was a little groggy, but it turned out to be the most unique set of sunrise photos I've ever taken.  You can actually see the sun!

The sky was almost all blue; only a tiny corner had some clouds that the sun was coming up behind.  Usually the spectacular sunrise occurs before the sun actually rises as its light from below the horizon shows on the clouds.  Once it rises, it is so bright that it blows out the picture.  It glowed brightly in my first picture, and I figured sunrise would be over quickly.

But the clouds kept blowing quickly past, out of the north, shading the sun just enough that you could see the actual orb of the sun itself, not just it's bright light on the clouds.

It kept rising quickly, and on a sharp angle, as it does at this latitude, but the clouds moved fast too, continuing to shade the sun enough that the circle of the sun showed up repeatedly.  Check out the sequence below.

Never before have I photographed a sunrise like this!  A great start to summer!

Then finally the sun did burst through, and the interesting part of the sunrise was over.  Sorry about all the wires, but can't do anything about them.

Linking to:

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, just deleted my other comment, thinking I had worded it wrong...anyway, this is the best series of a sunrise I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful seeing the sun climb up through the clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is totally amazing. I really like to see the sun like that almost like or maybe is a silhouette.
    Regarding my blog---I looked up Barkerville, BC and found a most interesting story. Maybe you already know about it but here is a link anyway.
    http://www.barkerville.ca/about-us/
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoying this beautiful serie of shots. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! I'm glad you were woken (?) up! We all benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am glad you woke for the solstice. What great pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. something called you to that sunrise - we are all grateful....and yes, it was spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, gorgeous sky captures. The sunlight and colors are just beautiful. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of patience shows the beauty of the sequence of the Sun Rising.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Long Weekend.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes we photo bugs are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time with the right equipment and the knowledge how to use it. Once you got yourself out of bed the hardest part was over. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete