Monday, June 12, 2017

Lilacs and Hummingbird Moth

Finally, our Lilacs have come into bloom, though they're not quite at the peak.  I'm sure they are the latest variety around here, because we've been seeing blooming Lilacs for at least 3 or 4 weeks.  And often, we get a Hummingbird Moth visiting the Lilacs.

Our little grove a Lilacs has finally come of age this year, growing well and covered in blossoms.

This is the Hummingbird Moth, sitting still for a moment, unlike yesterday's bees!  I think it's an incredible little insect.

If you look more closely at this photo, you can see the long proboscis rising and then plunging into an individual blossom.

This picture was an accident, but I was fascinated to see the curled up proboscis in front of the moth.

And there it goes!
Linking to:

14 comments:

  1. Very, very nice photos of the moth; they're a beautiful and fascinating insect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost smell them! Love the smell of lilacs...and always find the hummingbird moth fascinating...I usually see one or two here at the house, but nothing like when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible photosof that moth, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilac, so beautiful, and the moth, great motion photo there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope I see one this year it has been about two years since I saw one...they are so interesting! Your photos are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the scent of lilac. It reminds me of my happy early childhood. Later we moved to a house with a lilac tree in the garden. It was seven years before it flowered. And even then we only got about three blossoms for years. Fifty years on I wonder how it does now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, awesome capture of the moth. The lilacs look beautiful. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Just fabulous captures of that moth. And to see your lilacs in bloom makes me realize what a difference it makes to move north just a little bit. What is your latitude? We are almost at the 49th parallel but you must be farther north. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think everyone loves lilacs. Beautiful and the smell wonderful.
    Great shot of the moth!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shot of the hummingbird moth in action!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen a hummingbird moth in our area even though I read they are found in BC. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  12. A delightful sight. I've never seen a hummingbird moth in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't think I've ever seen a Hummingbird Moth but now know what to look for and if I see one I will know what it is. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lilac's, my favorite flower since childhood. great captures of the hummingbird moth, not seem by many people!!

    ReplyDelete