Saturday, June 10, 2017

Barns Around the Valley

As I've been driving around seeking pictures of livestock and crops, I've also inevitably ended up getting a few pictures of barns.  Barns are a big part of the rural landscape around here, and I'm always interested in how they're cared for, and what they're used for.

I'm always amused by this farm.  The farmer does have a large crane; he obviously put it to good use.

This is a fairly big modern farm, a dairy operation I think.

Whereas this farm is a small beef operation, a small and worn old barn, but still well cared for.

Remarkably for me, I can't remember where I took this picture!  Pretty sad for an old geographer.

I noticed this big tent on one farm, and wondered what it was for.

Driving by I saw the sign for the Canadian Foodgrains Bank, an outreach project of the Church of the Nazarene.  The project aims at aleviating hunger by selling grain to raise money for international work.  Naively, I assumed that the tent was for a reception to celebrate the crops going in, but of course it was probably for a wedding.  Nice old car there too.

This is the saddest old barn in the neighbourhood; it's been slowly deteriorating as long as I can remember.  I keep waiting for that back wall to fall down, but it still stands.

The same barn five years ago.  We're enjoying beautiful sunny warm days in the valley now, great for getting the last of the spring gardening done.  Hope you're having a good weekend.

Linking to:

The Barn Collective


18 comments:

  1. The truck on the silo looks like a relative good truck! Sure makes a person wonder. We always wonder what barns were used for, and I always wonder did they at one time have children that played in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old barns have that fascination, as we wonder about their memories. And even when they sag and fall, a mystery is still there. Fantastic photos today. And after 5 years, the bush at the left hand side of the barn almost in total collapse hasn't grown much at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first photo with the pickup on top of the silo takes first first prize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The barns are very iconic for rural life I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That truck on top of the silo made me do a double-take!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, love that truck up there! Great collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, the truck on the silo is an awesome sight. Great series of barn photos. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the old ban photo so many different variations, we having great weekend love this weather, family reunion in Tavistock today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watch the barns around here as well, FG. I always feel sad about the fallen ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barns, farmland and the countryside.......some of the most picturesque things to photograph! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. back in the day, barns were constructed with great integrity. for that reason, it takes a lot to bring them down! love both cars and being that it is june, a marriage month, i'll bet the tent is for a wedding!! enjoy your sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That truck made me smile, too. And the tour of barns was fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadly many of the old barns down here look like those in the last two photos. Not large enough or set up for a modern operation and expensive to maintain when they need major work. It seems like only the Amish and old-order Mennonite farmers are really interested in the old-style barn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The truck on top of a silo reminded me of a restaurant in Bellingham, WA. They just put a Ford Fairlane on the roof of Zane's Burgers in the Fairhaven district. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny to see the car way up there! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some farms do tend to make good venues for wedding receptions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...what a collection, from the pristine to despair. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Old barns hold a fascination for me as well. They just lend themselves to being photographed.

    ReplyDelete