Thursday, May 16, 2024

Magnolia - the Showiest Tree Flowers

At the opposite end of the scale are the very showy Magnolia blooms, providing one of spring's most spectacular displays.  Too bad there aren't more of them, but there are three or four large ones on our regular routes.  Most are a pale pink, but one I've found is more a rich pale purple.  The petals don't last long, but they can't be missed when they're in bloom!

These deep pink, almost purple flowers are certainly my favourite. 

                                                            Credit to Maureen Powell

This yellow Magnolia is the most unusual I've heard of.  One of my caregivers sent me this picture.

When we visited our daughter in Abbotsford, B.C., there were Magnolia planted as the trees on the street of her subdivision!





12 comments:

  1. I don't know that I've seen magnolias here, but suspect if there are, they are bushes rather than trees.
    Gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnolias sure are beautiful. I've never seen a yellow one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one of my favorite trees. around here, they usually thin out and grow into a very odd shape. this one is gorgeous and i adore the yellow one too. i have seen them in a true purple, but only a few times!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellow is beautiful, I have seen deep purple down here, a friend called them " Tulip Trees".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a plant store that sells Magnolia Butterflies, the golden one, a 200cm tree is over
      NZ $ 253.00 .

      Delete
  5. have seen a yellow one here this spring too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful trees -- for some reason it always seems to rain when the magnolias are at the peak of their bloom, that sends the petals to the ground and ends the show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So incredibly beautiful. I don't think I've never seen yellow magnolias, so thanks for the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried to see magnolias in bloom but was never lucky enough. I was either too late or too early.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see the occasional one around town, but they're smaller and not this impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree.....there should be more Magnolia trees planted. In the small village of Tavistock where I grew up there was one Magnolia tree and every Spring it was the talk of the town.

    ReplyDelete