Saturday, May 20, 2017

It's Dandelion Season!

Yes, I'm one of those rebellious sorts who likes Dandelions in my lawn!  They're such a beautiful yellow colour, and they feed the bees.  My great aunts made dandelion wine, and its leaves can be added to salad.  Children make Dandelion necklaces and crowns.  As a herb it has a number of medical benefits.

Some blooms seem very dense with petals; on others the petals seem sparse.  Checking my trusty 'Google', I find the name comes from the French 'dent-de-lion', or 'lion's-teeth', for the jagged outer ends of the petals.

In any case, they carpet some hayfields here for a brief period in late May, making the entire landscape look yellow.  As Kathleen Carlson wrote in "Ode to a Dandelion", "A golden frenzy greets the spring...".

I only found a few yet that have fulfilled their purpose in growing - producing lots of seeds for the next generation.  It's no wonder they spread in our lawn, with all those tiny little seeds carried by white parachutes in the slightest breeze.

In any case, they make a big difference to our rural landscape for a brief period in spring, here spreading over a hayfield beyond a small pond we drive by on the way into town.

We even grow a fair crop of them here in the yard, although I'm not so protective of them that I avoid mowing them to let them grow.  Here they're disappearing as I mow round the edge of the lawn, but others take their place fast.

My favourite among several poems about Dandelions is this one, by an unknown author, found on the website 'Dandelion "Daze"' (along with several other tributes):

I kept a yellow dandelion,
For I liked to watch it grow,
And I could never understand
Why people hate them so!
I cared for my dandelion 
Until he was old and gray,
And along came a puff of wind
And blew his hair away.

Here's to the humble Dandelion!


22 comments:

  1. I'm a lover of Dandelions too, but sadly the head gardener isn't :(
    Fields and fields of them, what a gorgeous sight, I'm thinking of all the wine and necklaces I could make :)
    Love this little poem, it's a new one for me !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dandelion is sadly underrated. Traveling last week in VT we drove past entire fields of these yellow blooms and I was sorry that there was no place to pull over for a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos of the dandelions going to seed. As a kid, I used to pick bouquets of dandelions for my mom all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't hate the dandelion, either. Always thrills me cause it is usually the first bloom I find in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. " One o'clock, two o'clock, three o'clock, four" was what we sand as we blew the fluff away.Glorious gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the poem. I too am a fan of dandelions, but I don't have a lawn for them to inhabit. I have to go to shore to find some. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your dandelions, and apparently bumbles love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are pretty and can turn a dull green/brown field into a glorious burst of sunshine! I think the 'hate' for dandelions come from living in towns and cities. The pressure to keep your lawns looking as good as your neighbours and don't dare let a parachuted seed land on their lawn. It is unfortunate. Love your pictures, your google information and your poem. Did you do the test for liking butter as well? As children, Mom would pick a dandelion and hold it up under our chins without touching us. If it reflected yellow on your skin, you liked butter. We believed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I like the dandelions. We let them grow too, for the bees. Love the poem! Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A field pull of Dandelions is so wonderful to look at and a sure sign of spring.
    Great photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that poem. I love the brilliant yellow they offer in the Spring. My friend always called them "Meadow Gold". We too did the butter test under the chin. They are replaced by the invasive Butter Cup here----That one I do not care for.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love dandelions too but they don't like me. I am allergic to them when they go to seed. I have to take medications for it but it still causes me problems. I am glad the bees benefit though. Kathy ( It's about time!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's the same here now. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like them too. They're pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are a few that escape in my yard. Not any in the flower beds, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely poem -- to a lovely flower that would be treasured were it not so common.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like dandelions as well and I really like that little poem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some gardeners seem to revile dandelions in the most visceral way imaginable. Hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The joys of youth included the dandelions of spring and summer.

    Those who have lost the magic of dandelions have simply lost touch with their youthful spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am not a dandelion lover when they are in my lawn - but they are beautiful photographed!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love'em. I have more dandelions than lawn, much to the horror of my neighbours!

    ReplyDelete