Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Summer House Park

The campground where we've chosen to leave our camper trailer is Summer House Park, 2/3 of the way up the Bruce Peninsula, on Miller Lake.  It provides a great central location for getting out and exploring lots of shoreline areas from Lion's Head to Tobermory.  So far, we're really enjoying it.

This park is an older well-forested campground with a lot of facilities including a good store and a cafe.  It's expensive for us, but it's also well managed, with good noise control in the evening and kept very clean.  About 75% of the sites are seasonal, with the others available for passing campers.   On the holiday weekend just finished, the place was full!

There a lot for families to do right at the park, and the beach is obviously very popular, though some prefer fishing.  Mind you this has been the peak family vacation time in late July/early August, so there's been a crowd of families with young children.

Personally, I prefer the quiet view looking the opposite direction, and if it gets really hot someday, I might even go for a swim out to that raft.  I'll undoubtedly bring up my canoe on one of our trips and do some exploring around the lake.

And this is our very small trailer (compared to other seasonal units), but it suits us.  We enjoy a very simple life when camping, and usually get out exploring at least once every day.  And the park does have full hook-ups, so even though it's small, the trailer has some of the comforts of home.

I'm always noticing the trees and the rest of the natural world around us, and I'm surprised that they've successfully protected so many of the trees in this park.  It really does have a forested appearance.  It's mostly a Sugar Maple forest, but this big White Birch towers over our campsite.

And in the morning I can just lie back in my chair with my coffee and gaze into the sky.  How could you get a more relaxing start to the day?


Or in the evening, I can go and sit on the dock and watch the twilight spread across the lake.  It occurs to me that I should fill you in a little on the Bruce Peninsula for those of you who don't know it, so tomorrow I'll do that.

Linking to:

13 comments:

  1. That sounds good to me, since I don't know anything about the Peninsula. I sure did enjoy gazing at these pictures, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous area. Great place to relax and clear the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely area to camp, but I agree, expensive, even by our NZ standards. You even have to pay to dock your boat? Will your canoe be up by your camper every night? But with all of this, so much better than towing a camper every day to a new location and setting up all the time. Enjoy your summer holidays away from home. super site, secluded, private, and shaded. All a man or his lady would wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place is just wonderful. I'm so glad you are there. Your photos do a good job of showing the place off. I love your little trailer. It is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful place to spend a summer's day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, beautiful place! Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your trailer is cool. It's not the trailer which you'd enjoy but the places where it can bring you.

    I agree with you on enjoying more quiet spots. I love well forested places, you can see how bounty nature is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been at that lake once; my aunt and uncle for years would rent a cabin on the lake for many years for a few weeks over the summer- I don't know if it also included a campground or if this is another location- and their kids would come up in turn over the time they were staying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great place to have your RV. Seems a perfect size to me. I'd prefer the quiet side too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got a picture to explain to you why the hike we did today is called "Railroad Grade" and after a frustrating time trying to find a way to contact you, I'll just say that if you want to see it, give me an email to forward it to. I'm at djanstewart (at) gmail.com. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous series of sunny scenes. Adore the water views in the second, third and last photos.

    ReplyDelete