Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Paddling Lake Eugenia's Marsh Part 1

Well I think that's enough of the garden for now.  For the next little while you can join me on some of my expeditions around here.  By the way you may have noticed we were absent for a few days - away doing grandparent duty while our new grand-daughter was born.  Mom and baby are doing well, and we're back at home.

About a week ago my paddling buddy and I paddled around the marsh in the south end of Lake Eugenia.  If you know the area, that's the part south of the causeway.  My buddy brought his kayak, while I had my single canoe, which you paddle like a kayak.  I hadn't been out in it this year yet, what with all that's gone on in our lives.

I thought this area was mostly flooded stumps in the middle, with marsh around the edge, but expected a short paddle exploring the bulrushes.  We headed out past the 100 year old stumps.

As soon as I could I was nosing into the bulrushes to see what I could see, and get some pictures.

The water was remarkably clear!

We paddled past the stumps pretty quickly, and headed southeast searching for the spot where the Beaver River flowed into the lake, which I thought might add a little interest to our paddle.  This picture is looking north toward the main lake, and you can see the causeway that cuts off this end, with the bridge where the old river flows through.

I could easily have taken a lot of stump pictures!

And then we found the river.  Once you got beyond the part where the lake had flooded to, we found we could go up the river quite a distance.  What was a paddle past the bulrushes became an exploration of the creek, which got more and more interesting as we paddled upstream.

You might think we were blocked at this point, but we wiggled around through the cedars and fallen logs on the left here.

What I enjoyed most about this part of the paddle was the reeds bending downstream in the current, and I took a bunch of pictures.

What I thought was going to be a short and simple paddle around the edge of the marsh had turned into an interesting exploration of the creek.  And this is only part 1; more to come the next couple of days.

Lake Eugenia is a man-made lake flooded by a dam to help generate electricity, way back in 1915.  The main part of the lake is much larger and more open than the area we paddled here, at the very upstream end.

Linking to:

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs! What an incredible place. And congratulations on your new grand-daughter. That is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photographs are really, really beautiful. The water is so clear. It all looks like a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new granddaughter! Looks like fun paddling around the marsh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Grampa. : )
    Looks like a good time paddling around there. We've only been out on our kayaks once this year. We need to get out again before it turns cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the safe arrival of your new granddaughter. I like the tree stumps and the interesting shapes they are. Looks like a great place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!

    A good day to be out on the water, by the looks of things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great adventure into your beautiful country. Congratulations on the newest member of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the lovely boat ride through the waters....so clear! And congrats on the new baby in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on the new little one, that's exciting stuff!!! i enjoyed this "ride along" pretty images and some very cool tree stumps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially like the kayak photo! LOVE the red. Congrats on your new grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooohhh, nice! Glad to know you're back home, with the new baby settling in with the parents. Lovely canoe/kayak trip; I look forward to more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks soo lovely ! I could almost feel myself floating in your boat with you . Wonderful photos and post . Thanks for taking us along and sharing , Have a good day , Oh and congrats on the new baby !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your new grandbaby! You may have seen how excited I am about our grandson... What a great place to paddle around and I was going to remark on how clear the water is and what a good sign that must be. I am a sucker for driftwood and stumps... I don't know why... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to all! A new child in the family is so special.

    Interesting scenes here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on a new grandaughter, somehow soon she might ve accompanying you on your walks to the woods, boatrides & stuff. That would be fun I guess.
    This place you've paddled around is simply amazing. It's filled with pure natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete