Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Paddling the Marsh Part 2

This has become exploring the creek rather than paddling the marsh, but we did reach the point where we were blocked by fallen logs.  My buddy was desperate to explore the water beyond, but we decided it didn't look promising.

At first it looked like we'd be blocked here, but as you can see we wiggled our way around and got further.

But this log finally ended our paddle.  It was tempting to go further, but you get familiar with creeks like this and we knew to expect more log jams upstream.

We did get as close as we could and look beyond, but that will have to wait for another day.  This paddle has already turned into a longer and more interesting exploration than we expected.

Drifting back downstream I kept on taking pictures of the reeds bent and waving with the current.

There were lots of old logs buried in the water, apparently not rotting much, and just lying there for decades.  I'm fascinated with things like this, and it makes great fish habitat.

Just as we emerged back into the lake my buddy said 'Here's a great picture!'.  I had to back up and move over to drift down this long log rising slowly out of the water.  I got the picture as I bumped along the log.  Tomorrow we'll end our paddle back down the lake.

Linking to:

11 comments:

  1. It certainly does look like quite a tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water is so clear! A nice adventure for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprise you got as far as you did! A grand adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bending reeds certainly make interesting pictures. I'm enjoying this paddle from warmth, comfort and dryness of my armchair. Thanks for doing the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised that no-one clears the fallen trees. But maybe because they create a great habitat for wildlife? Probably great for little crustaceans and insect larvae for fish to eat?
    You do have fun looking little adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you said, the fallen debris under the water makes for great fish habitat. If you were a fisherman, you'd probably note those places as one to come back to. I really do like the wavy reeds under the water. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love paddling the crystal clear water ways. At our cottage, there is no weed growth, other than along the shore. Getting out into the middle, the lake is full of rocks and logs. We can see the fish!! At the other part of the lake there are submerged wooden rowboats. No one seems to know how long they have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'd love to be there paddling with you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun adventure. And a true friend to point out a good shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great photos here. I think I'll have to allow myself to experience the marsh through YOUR eyes. I can attract mosquitoes for miles!!
    I hope to see you at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/08/bennett-place-bit-of-history.html and each week for the Wordless Wednesday (on Tuesday) photo linky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha - I was just looking at that picture and thought "oh, some great fishing there!" and then read your comment. :)
    that last one is great! I hope we can do more of this next summer with our kids. we really enjoyed the peace and calm that comes from canoe, rather than bumping along in a motor boat.

    ReplyDelete