Monday, August 10, 2015

Colour in the Garden

Late July and early August are the season for colour in the garden.  Our garden is just a riot of colour and seems to be growing so much it looks like a jungle.  I'm beginning to ask myself which plants we're going to have to get rid of.

The red Crocosmia at the back of the garden is in full bloom, and bigger than ever.

We have Day Lilies and Phlox in colourful patches.

There's a lot of yellow in our garden these days, perhaps too much.  You see it from every angle. They're mostly False Sunflowers, and they spread easily.

We also have lots of coneflowers, mostly the purple ones, which seem to spread fairly easily.

I like this patch of red Monarda, but it's sort of being hidden by the other spreading flowers.

Big patches of Day Lilies and False Sunflowers.

The far side of the garden has quite a mixture of Coneflowers and Daisies, along with some Day Lilies, Sweet Peas and more Day Lilies.

All in all, it's just a very colourful time in the garden, the season of colour.  Looking back I see I also did a post on Colour in the Garden in early August last year.


18 comments:

  1. Bright and lovely! All our flowers have died from the hot weather. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you planted any from seeds, or are they self-grown? I know lots will be coming up year after year, and thriving so well together, lovely colour mix and matches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. W usually have great wildflower colors in the High Country at this time of year, but not this year, since we are in a drought and all the flowers bloomed early and then dried right up. So I'll just enjoy looking at your bounty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You set things up nicely so that you would have many blooms at this time of year. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gardens and flowers are beautiful! I love the mass of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is beautiful. I like when every thing grows together like that, reduces the weeds and increases the color. Monarda is an amazing color. I shall have to find some. Cone flowers are my favorite and I joyfully scatter my seeds hoping for more.

    Thanks for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coneflowers, we see a lot of them here through the summer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cottage garden looks really great. You have a nice variety and the colors are magnificent all blooming at the same time. My garden seems to be too big for me but once the frost and snow hits and everything it all flattens down to nothing. I forget what is all out there and look forward to see what is going to come up again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved getting this shot of color on what is a very dull, rainy day in our neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden looks so lovely. I miss my garden so much. It always amazes me how some flowers take over and before long the entire focus of the garden has changed. Like you, I see the expanse of the garden and the statement it makes to me before I see the individual plantings. At one time, a garden has perfect balance and then in a few years a color you had not planned on dominates. Let you eye be your guide as you thin and prune.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow what a beautiful array of color. I LOVE your garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I love all the colours.

    ReplyDelete