Saturday, August 15, 2015

Inglis Falls (Again)

Well, that video I posted yesterday was so terrible, I've deleted it, but I will keep working at that, and thanks for your kind comments anyway!  But I'm getting not too bad at those misty waterfall shots based on a slow speed that I like so much.  So here's a replacement post on Inglis Falls that's a lot better than that video!

These pictures are taken on long exposures, so they're all on a tripod.  They're at the lowest ISO setting, with a Neutral Density filter to darken them, this one exposed for 2 second to catch the moving water.

I like taking shots of small parts of this waterfall, it has so many little steps and rocky ledges.  This much white water makes it brighter, so it was only exposed half a second.

I really like this result, because the entire lower part of this photo was in deep shade.  I managed to get a 2 second exposure that didn't totally wash out the top part, but provided enough light to the bottom vertical fall.

The water divides in several directions going over the falls, and the main flow is to the left in this picture.

There is a viewpoint where you can stand further back and get a larger view.  It's hidden in the trees at this time of year, but the old mill sat on the right hand side, and extended from nearly the bottom of the falls to 3 stories above the falls.  This one is certainly my favourite waterfalls to photograph.

Linking to:

16 comments:

  1. I would never grow tired of this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great waterfall photos. Your fortunate to have those waterfalls in your area. Nothing like that down this way. Say, any cheap properties for sale up there in that Beaver Valley place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. An artist could not have designed a more attractive and interesting waterfall. Your shots do it full justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stair stepped cascading water of this waterfall. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have trouble with waterfalls shots sometimes because the water is so bright against those pockets of shade. That's what "layering" is for but I keep not finding time to get Photoshop installed and learn how to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic shots ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inglis Falls is one of the prettiest in Ontario. You've captures it well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous waterfalls and lovely images. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice shots indeed. I love the look of the water with a 2-second exposure; it looks like silk. I didn't think that video was all that bad! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Se-real beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous waterfall! I love your photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a very handsome waterfall. Great photos. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent series of Inglis, the silky water created by the slower shutter makes these quite striking. You tamed the hash lighting conditions very well too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those falls look so silky soft and magically beautiful.

    ReplyDelete