Monday, August 17, 2015

Heleniums, my Favourite Fall Flower

Our colourful Heleniums are undoubtedly my favourite late summer or early fall flower.  They are just so bright and varied, and form a bright spark in our garden.  Helenium is the genus; some horticultural varieties are known as Sneezeweed.

It's this view, from underneath showing the sun lighting up the petals, that makes this my favourite.

The first time I got a picture from below, looking upwards, I was hooked on these flowers.  Since these are my favourite photos of the week, I'm linking to Mersad Donko's Through My Lens meme.

It looks pretty good from above too, and the colours run a remarkable gamut from yellow to red, even on the petals of a single flower.  This genus is an example of a flower group that was introduced to Europe from North America, in the great rush of botanical collectors roaming the world in the 1700's.  Then the plant breeders took over, and today there are numerous garden varieties.

They definitely need full sun.  Our tallest oldest patch is well above my head, while these recently planted ones are only 2 feet tall yet.  But a clump that was in light shade died out in a matter of two years.

I've been intrigued with how the tiny florets in the centre of these flowers each open, get fertilized and then form this unique pattern on the flower head (below) that I've seen in no other member of the sunflower family.

They bloom for a long time, they are colourful, and they're hardy.  What more could you ask of a garden flower?

Linking to:

18 comments:

  1. The first photos look like Tiger eye flowers . All very pretty and lovely photos of them all ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good evening !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, and each photo shows more of the intensity and fine detail there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb macros of these lovely flowers!
    Have a Happy Week!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots - I like the ones of the petals backlit by the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been catching up, going back through many of your shots. Some wonderful flowers! Loved the slow speed waterfall images and the comet captures (wow!). A few thoughts: 1. I should check here when I'm trying to identify blooms. I was surprised to see how similar many of the gardens we've seen in the last few days are to yours. 2. You are doing a lot of experimenting and learning about your camera while I seem to have sunk into a bit of a predictable style. 3. Could you send us a little of your rain please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orange is not my favorite color but I must admid that these orangey-red flowers are such a beauty. The colors look like fire. You've captured the best of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love those and they are perfect for drying too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like these pictures very much though I've never grown the flowers. One to investigate someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning flowers and photograghs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!
    Have a great day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I have these! Summer is so short!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty flowers. I had a small patch that died out because it received too much shade! I should have transplanted them!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous fall colors, i am ready for autumn!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful photos. I really like the yellows and oranges of the late summer blooms. I just shared a new blogpost and referred to you and your blog as I have a question on it for you about an unusual rock formation I thought you might help me with. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was amazed by all the lovely flowers still in bloom in the upper US and Canada during our recent visit. You have captured this variety so very well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these simple but lovely flowers, too!

    ReplyDelete