Friday, August 28, 2015

Signs of the Seasons

I was shocked this morning to drag myself out of bed just before 7 and discover the sun had not risen!  Then I was even more shocked when a few minutes later it did rise, but far to the south of where I had seen it last time (I'm not very good at seeing sunrises during mid-summer when they occur so early).  It told me loud and clear that fall is on its way!

Not much of a sunrise really, but look at the position of the rising sun!  Well to the right of that big old elm tree.  Compare this to the photo below, the only comparison shot I could come up with.

In late June the sun was rising right in the lowest spot of the skyline, right in that dip, well to the left (north) of the big old elm.  The position of the sun changes quickly at this time of year at our latitude.

But there are many more signs of the seasons.  The heavy dew in the morning is one of the most obvious on days when I want to do any work in the garden or yard.  You have to wait til afternoon for things to dry out.

These dark Red Osier Dogwood were coated in dew too.  These three pictures were accidentally under-exposed, but they showed the dew better than the ones taken at a normal exposure.

In the morning sun the red colour the dogwoods have already turned also showed up.

And all over this part of Ontario the wheat harvest is just about finished.  This field got caught by the rain which interrupted combining earlier this week.  Now it has to dry out again.

And down the road from our house the purple New England Asters are coming into bloom.  This is the wildflower that typically ends the summer for me.  The summer has flown by, the days are shorter, the evenings cooler, and fall is nearly here.

Linking to:

13 comments:

  1. The purple asters are some of the last wildflowers in the high country right now, too. I saw some yesterday. I love your beautiful dew pictures, and yes the sunrise! Here we are losing more than three minutes every single day right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I to take notice of these things as well , it is all part of loving nature and photographing it . Lovely photos . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Fall is coming on strong here too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coincidentally I too was surprised this morning when sunlight spilled through the living room window & down our hall. A definite sign the sun was again swinging into the south or to be correct.......our earth is slowly rotating to the north while the Sun remains in place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It happens every year but still has the capacity to surprise us! Heavy dew always seems to coincide with the harvest, I've always wondered how much moisture is released into the atmosphere by the removal of the crop covering the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely series of images. The sky shots are beautiful. I love the dewdrops and the pretty flowers. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures kind of indicate that fall is coming....I'm ready for a break from the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really noticing the difference in sunset times now- I'm rarely awake to see a sunrise though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been surprised at how rapidly the days are becoming shorter. This makes it easier for us to get out before sunrise. Nice images that catch the spirit of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely part of Canada, sending best wishes from BC :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm noticing too that it is darker when I start on my morning walks. Soon I'll be walking in the dark again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, am noticing the shifts from summer to autumn. Sunrise hour later, for sure, but also just a feeling (if that makes any sense), especially on waking up. Funny, because if the winter is like last year's very warm and dry one (the prediction is for even warmer), we will continue to have blooms and birdsong and the seasonal changes won't be glaringly obvious. Compared to my life in Quebec, winter is barely noticeable here. Anyhow, I enjoyed the concrete facts that you laid out so beautifully. Oh.. and New England Asters! THAT'S what they are! Thank you for showing those! I have noticed more and more that we have similar flowers at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete