Sunday, August 2, 2015

Change of Plans

A year or two before retiring, we boldy bought a small camper trailer.  We had ambitious dreams of retracing the big camping trips we took across the country with the kids 25 years ago!  Alas, it was not to be.  We took it south to the Great Smokies two years ago, and soon discovered that we were simply not comfortable driving and towing a trailer for long trips.

We've wondered what to do with it since, and decided rather than just selling it, to try parking it for the season at a campground up the Bruce Peninsuola, less than a two hour drive away.  We took it up last week and after we got set up we headed out to start exploring.  Lion's Head was the first place we visited; I liked this giant picture frame on the beach!

I've never been able to convince myself that this cliff really looked like a 'lion's head', but then I read a sign downtown that suggested the piece of rock that created the look-a-like profile fell off years ago.  Now I don't feel so bad.

In any case it's a beautiful view out there, and the colour of the water on Georgian Bay always amazes me.  Some day I intend to hike out to those cliffs, though I know it's a long walk.

Equally scenic is the lighthouse and small harbour right in the village.   It's not just the colour of the water that amazes, but how clear it is.

This is the small Lion's Head lighthouse, marking the north side of the harbour entrance, now just a light on top, all automatic.

I suspect that I'll be taking a lot of pictures of the shoreline up and down the Bruce Peninsula, with its rocks, blue water, and distant views.

Those are the cliffs of Cape Chin in the distance, looking north from Lion's Head.  More about our decision, the campground, and the peninsula in the next few days.



21 comments:

  1. Love the Bruce Peninsula. We made 2 trips up there last summer to look at properties for sale & looked at a few this summer on line. The Peninsula's shoreline along Georgian Bay is second to none with it's rock cliffs & crystal clear waters. The Bruce has an allure that is hard to resist. Mystical, magical, & spiritual come to mind. Enjoy your time there & you might want to carry a second camera because with all the scenery you will certainly wear your first camera out....................

    ReplyDelete
  2. That water is simply stunning in its clarity and color. For whatever reason, it looks like it was a good choice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could put up with going to such a scenic spot regularly; it sound a good deal more attractive than endless road trips. It's no good getting older if you don't get any wiser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Down here, we have had tiny tents, larger tents, a caravan, and now a trailer with a cabin on the deck, built by Hugh. ( last year) Up North, I know camping trailers come in HUGE sizes, so when you say a "small" one, how big is it? In NZ, lots of camping grounds have places for permanent vans, and this seems to be a great idea, one time to tow, all set up when you get there, and your new holiday home has a beautiful place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous place to have your RV camped. The views of the cliffs and water are beautiful. Wonderful post and images. Have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful place. Sounds like a good use of the RV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you and Maria enjoy your stay in the Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos . Great place to go exploring . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely breathtaking. My pockets would be full.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glorious photos - I was also trying to make the cliffs look like a lion's head. Glad to know it wasn't just me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope this camper arrangement works for you. You're in a very beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is good to know there are a few pristine looking places out there in the world. The clarity of the water truly is a sight to be seen. Even if it is a photograph. Very nice. Enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I does seem like a good home away from home place. I will be interested in what you have decided. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely blue water! A nice place to set up camp for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pristine and peaceful! I can't get over how crystal clear the water is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that picture frame too :) The water is sooo inviting, I won't leave that place without dipping myself into those water.

    It's a pity that "lion's head" fell.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous scenery shots! Lion's Head is such a pretty place. You can't beat Georgian Bay shorelines. You were pretty close in your guess about Bear's Rump Island, my shots are of the waters off Cape Hurd, near Tobermory. We will be driving over to the Georgian Bay side for a few day trips. Are you going to make it up to Indian Head Cove, the Grotto and Halfway Log Dump? Fabulous spots! Enjoy the BRUCE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a beautiful place with really clear water! Sounds like a good place to stay for awhile:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been up that way a handful of times. It's such a beautiful stretch of coastline.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with you on the shoreline, great subject with that amazingly clear water!

    ReplyDelete