Monday, December 8, 2014

Sunny Day in the Valley!

For the first time in three weeks, we had a sunny blue sky sort of day in the valley, and the views were spectacular.  I got permission for a short drive, and headed down into the valley to one of my favourite views, and then stopped at the top of the two ski hills.  Here are the results.

Traffic was so light I could stop on the way down Bowles Hill (named after the Bowles family, whose farm was the land on the left) to get a picture as you enter the valley.  I always think this line of escarpment bluffs is pretty spectacular for southern Ontario.

And this is one of my favourite views - with that interesting barn on the right.  I love all the red doors and window shutters on it.

Looking back up to the left you can also see the old Bowles family homestead and barn, and beyond it the Avalanche ski slope, where they're making snow to be ready for ski season opening shortly.

Next I stopped at the top of that ski slope, reputedly the steepest in Ontario, for a view to the southeast. I've never even thought about trying to ski down this run!  But I do like the view.  The Bruce Trail goes right along the crest of the escarpment on the east side of the valley, and I'm nearly standing on it here on the west side.  This is the closest of these viewpoints to where we live.

Then I drove two miles north to the now defunct Talisman Ski Resort (currently being refurbished as a hotel and spa).  At this point, the valley has widened out a little, and the bluffs on the east side are less obvious.  I like the view of the road which goes all the way down, across and up the other side - one of the steepest roads in the valley too!  A lot of people avoid driving it at all costs.

Finally, looking north, bracketed by a now unused snow gun, with an abandoned ski lift in the background, you can see all the way to Georgian Bay, a thin but deep line of blue on the horizon.  At that point the valley has widened out considerably, and the slopes around it are considerably gentler.

Saw my heart surgeon today, 5 weeks to the day after surgery, and it's all systems go!  I'm free!

Linking to:

25 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your wonderful health report! I have a friend who has been waiting for a surgery date and she is rather nervous. Another lady I know said she had so much energy after surgery and all went well. I'm glad you were able to enjoy such spectacular scenery. I'm sure you have a lot of gratitude that you are now able to enjoy more. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, after Hugh had his heart attacks, then 2 stents inserted, a new man. Enjoy that freedom, it will seem to be so much more acute now, Beautiful first photo, you stopped at the perfect place on the road.Take care, and best wishes for further good health, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!

    I can never get tired of the Escarpment. I grew up in the countryside with a view of it out the back window, and I miss being in close contact with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely views! So good to hear that you are free! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you well enough to go for a drive and such a beautiful place to do it in.
    I'd happily live in that old barn you admire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling better! Your valley looks very much like ones here in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great report from you Doctor and so good indeed to be free again! Cheers!! AND what lovely photos and such a beautiful place!! Thanks for sharing all the good things!! Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news on the health front!
    I took some time to check out Beaver Valley on a map, so I have a better idea of the countryside you show and describe with such love and respect. The escarpment bluffs, the barn with red doors and shutters, the road that goes "down, across and up the other side".. the photographs were wonderful, but having the details brought to our attention made the post especially meaningful. I read that ski hills, Old Smokey and Talisman, had started up but folded. It seems that Avalanche is doing well. Anyhow, all very interesting. Take it easy on those steep, icy roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often like to check out locations that bloggers mention on a map, so I'm frequently calling up Google Maps to compare things. Amazing the details you can see.

      Delete
  9. A beautiful look at your snowy world. Great news from the Doc! Lovely photos, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My very first time on downhill skies back in 94 I think it was I believe was at Talisman. Think I spent all my time on the Bunny Hill digging snow out of my face. Love that whole region up there in the Beaver Valley. Kelly & I had considered looking for property in the area a year or two ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd tell you that I first skiid at Talisman 52 years ago, but that might give away my age!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on your good word from the Doc...All systems go sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos ! I walked the entire Bruce trail years ago I haven't been there for a long time . Oh you have snow your way we still have green and brown here , The sun is shining this morning after a night of rain and the temps are + 3 . That valley looks a lot like our valley here ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear your feeling good again and all is ok . I don't know what you were ill with as I came to your blog just a few days ago but again glad all is good !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't mind the cold, when it comes with such a beautiful blue sky. it's those gray days.....but they do help us to appreciate when the sky is blue and the sun is shinning brightly!! rain today, my snow is gone ;(

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful place. That Bruce Trail is just calling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great views. Looks like an invitation to a fun drive.

    Congratulations on your health results.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy the blue sky and the sun and how wonderful that your health report is so positive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your freedom! I could use several days of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhhh the freedom - congrats on a good check up. I love all the views of the land and the buildings - and the ski slopes. All the ski slopes in our area (NW Washington) are high up in the mountains and require at least an hour of treacherous mountain roads - switch backs and bad curves - so we no longer visit them - we leave the for the youngsters.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All your photos are so very pretty. Some fantastic views.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some beautiful views of the valley and escarpment. I'm happy that you got the all clear from your doctor. That's a great early Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, hubby had never driven around Ontario until he met me! He's lived in three provinces, though, and been in most of the large airports in the world!
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete