Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Getting the Ski Hill Ready

Another sign of the seasons around here is all the work done to get the downhill ski slopes ready over at the Beaver Valley Ski Club.  As soon as the temperature dips below freezing, they think about making snow.  It was one of those bright sunny days when I got these shots.

This shot from below the slopes shows about half the runs at the ski club, not a big hill compared to the mountains, but popular locally.  It will be busy on the weekends all winter.

I stopped at the top, and they had quite a few of the snow guns going down the slope.

This is one of the big new snow-making guns, one that uses much less water.

Further down in the Avalanche bowl, three other guns were blowing snow onto another slope that is far to steep for me to ever consider!

Meantime, the evergreens at the top get plastered of course.  Ten days ago when I shot these, it looked like they were well on their way to skiing over Christmas, always a hoped for bonus for the season.

But then our recent thaw arrived.  The temperature has been at or above freezing for 4 days now, providing a nice foggy atmosphere, but melting the snow too.

We only have a little snow left here now, though I haven't checked the ski hill.  As soon as it dips colder again you can bet they'll be out there trying to make more snow to be ready for the ski season.  That's the way the early winter season goes around here.

 Linking to:

16 comments:

  1. Perhaps my memory is failing my, but when I was younger, area ski centers didn't seem to make as much snow as they do today. The conditions back in the 60s probably weren't up to folks high standards of today, or could it be our messed climate. I'm longing to see snow and a blue sky at the same time! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like here in NB and the ski hills trying to get ready for the season with up and down weather. There is a small hill about 15 minutes from us called Crabbe Mountain where we skied for a few years. There is also Mont Farlange in Edmundston and Poley Mountain near Sussex. Sadly, just last week, Poley lost it's ski lodge to a major fire but they are bringing in trailers and setting up for the season which was supposed to start this past weekend but will be delayed. I hear we may get some snow Wednesday night into Thursday. The ski hills could use it. I'm rather enjoying the dry roads right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific shots. There are some of those snow making machines here at the ski slops too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Mt. Hood Meadows, my local ski resort has a whopping 11 inch base! Needless to say, they're not open yet! There's mountain snow in the forecast so I'm crossing my fingers. Of course, it will be at least a couple weeks before I can even think about skiing, but I'd still like a good thick base when I'm finally ready. Hope your ski areas get a dumping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a November that felt like January and our December has felt like November. You can keep all that snow, skiing is one sport I take a pass on! Thanks for stopping by my blog so often, I'm finally getting a chance to return the favor. I'm notorious for always being weeks behind reading other blogs, so don't take it personally when it happens to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent shots!

    I've enjoyed cross country skiing, but I've never gotten into downhill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never skied. But it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a bad year so far for the skiers around here, too. We are at an all-time low for snow this year, but surely it will change sometime soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i had never seen snow makers
    i thought they were vehicles that drive around, interesting
    we don't have much snow left either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos - I've heard of but never have seen snow guns. I bet my grandsons would love to see them. I suppose that ski lodges - like farmers, are completely dependent on how long a season they can have - I wish them luck. I think the ones around here are already open - but most of them are over 8,000 feet up the sides of mountains. Down here in the foothills we are getting rain - which is dandy, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful images. the ski resort of Prati di Tivo (Teramo) no snow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. The snow is stunning. We have had our fair share already as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snow makes great photos and yours are just wonderful! The fog created by the thaw makes the place look a bit spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That snow gun looks like something from Star Wars! I've been so addicted to my train game I haven't been doing anything else. Getting caught up now!

    ReplyDelete