Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas Photo Challenge

I'm interrupting my scenic photos of the valley for Donna's 'Personal Photo Challenge'.  This month it's on Christmas, so I revisited my 'light painting' techniques of a year ago after we got the tree up (lights on, but not decorated) today.  I'm pleased with the results!







All of these photos were taken with the camera just on Aperture.  The camera was giving me about a one second exposure, but I hand-held the camera, and just moved it, either in a circle or back and forth, to get these effects.  The final photo is different in colour to illustrate the effect of adjusting the white balance for indoor lighting.  I actually like the lighting in all the others better, even if it was set for sunlight or cloudy.  Very easy and fun photos to take.

Linking to:

18 comments:

  1. Those ARE fun. I like them all, some a bit more than others, but just a bit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how many trial and errors that you made but these are all really great. I am curious but I don't think my camera will go this way. I can sure get a lot of blurry pictures. The lights only probably helped to make the special effects work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Papa and I have done this it is fun ! I usually take my Christmas light shots at night with my ISO at 100 and F stop at 4.5 shutter speed 1/6th of a second hand held I have lenses with VR in them and I never use a tripod I use my body as the tripod lol ! I like the camera in my hands at all times I know I am weird lol ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...these are some really cool effects! I have been experimenting with a star shaped cut out on my lens with the bokeh effects too. Fun photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all the different patterns you made with the long exposures, especially the swirly ones. Very cool! I'll have to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool captures of the lighting and tree. Very creative! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most interesting. Actually I prefer the tree with only white or blue lights sans all the decorations. The Mrs. here not so much...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very original idea that produced interesting and fun images!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really cool - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How interesting. I've not tried this before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks fun! I might have to give it a try this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautiful photos!
    I tried that some weeks ago when taking pictures of the small spruces (with colourful lights) outside our home, but the results weren't as good as yours.
    I too prefer the colour of the first four photos.
    Your blog looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hubs loves pictures like these. I like the one with the triangles best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amo sua brincadeira com a câmera e as luzes! Vou experimentar! Parabéns!
    Eu desejo um feliz Natal para você e sua família!
    Um abraço!

    Love your child play with the camera and the lights! I'll try! Congratulations!
    I wish a happy Christmas to you and your family!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete