Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Barns Around the Valley

In my sunny-Sunday drive I captured a few more shots of barns worth sharing.  I think I could continue photographing barns for some time around here!

This is one of my favourite, really just an old unused drive shed I think, standing alone out in a large field up the road, but it just seems to say a lot about a way of life gone by.

A closer look, with the old Elm tree nearby.  I really must get over to take a picture in the morning when this side of the barn would be in sun!

I notice this barn every time I drive north, those two big openings looking to me as if the barn is being repaired - but it never changes.  They have put in some steel posts to help hold it up.

Here is that barn with the red doors and window shutters, looking at it down the lane.  I've seen no evidence of it being used, though it is being cared for, which means it's probably owned by a rural non-farm resident.

This is a barn I've actually been inside, many years ago when it was owned by a family friend.  Although nearly 90, he still kept a few cattle to keep himself occupied.  Quite close to the village of Kimberley, with the escarpment in the background.

How's this for a setting for a farm?  The old Bowles family barn I featured yesterday, from a different angle.

Hope you enjoyed a few more barns around the valley.  I'm linking to The Barn Collective, if you want to check out other barn pix.


12 comments:

  1. Wonderful collection old furry one. I'm looking forward to taking some snow shots soon. Tom The Backroads Traveller (fellow furry one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All wonderful barns. I love it when they are being cared for, even though in disrepair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful barns! I really like the first photo. It looks like a watercolour painting. The barn with the red doors is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful barns. Once, when young and foolish, I wanted to build a house inside a barn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to visit your barns. There are quite a few around, aren't there? It's so sad seeing them fall apart. There are companies that have been selling the barn board to repurpose them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice shots. The snow looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fine selection of old barns - you're lucky to have so many in your part of the world though I wonder how much longer some of these will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is something about barns that almost every one likes.
    We are getting a bit of snow today. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very similar in style to my family barn (in NY). My dad had it taken down rather than see it fall down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos ! I love old barns to ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete