Monday, March 24, 2014

Another Great Ski!

It's hard to believe we have cross-country skiing at all after the middle of March, but here it is into the official spring season, and there's still great skiing.  My ski buddy and I headed out to the trails at Glenelg Nordic the other day (just before our most recent new foot of snow - trails will be even better now!), and had a wonderful ski under sunny skies.

As I've shared before, most of these trails run through hardwoods, and over quite hilly terrain, so it's great skiing with enough up and down to be exciting.

In a few places the trail runs through a tunnel of planted evergreens, giving lots of variety to your ski.  With moderate temperatures and the sun shining the trails were beginning to get sticky by the time we finished.  I'm glad we went in the morning.

There's only one pond, which gives you a very brief open view along the trails.  We chose the main trail loops which had all been groomed the night before, and the skiing was great in spite of a little ice underneath..

My buddy is waiting patiently for me to catch my breath before we finish off.  He skiis faster than I do, which pushes me to keep up and improve.  I'm slow going uphill, but love the downhill runs.

Don't know if we'll make it back to these trails this year, but it's been the best year ever for cross-country skiing!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a gorgeous area to ski through. I haven't been out this weekend, and who knows if we'll get another weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No snow all winter in my part of the UK and it seems unlikely that we'll get any now. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ski trail. You might be at it into April with all this snow we are getting this morning up my way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, just look at those blue skies! Looks like a glorious day for a ski outing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it was a great day. We can still ski here too, but I have been hoarding gas money for other things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous photos. Looks like perfect weather with a bright sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blue sunny skies and brilliant white snow....it doesn't get much better than this! You have a lovely area for cross country skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun time, like always.

    ReplyDelete