Sunday, June 27, 2021

Thornbury Harbour Part II

After riding out to the end of the road by the small Harbour Master's office, I turned around and headed back, planning to go right up out of the harbour to ride across the old railway bridge, now part of the Georgian Trail.

I turned around to see the Blue Mountain across the bay.  If you look closely you can see the open runs of Georgian Peaks Ski Club.  the Bruce Trail skirts the top of these ski runs where you get a great view.

I saw this fancy sign for the Beaver River Trail again, but this time I looked it up to see where it went.  
It's in the towns of Thornbury and Clarksburg, from the harbour down to Clendenan Dam.

I said good-bye to the grey waters of Georgian Bay and headed upstream.

There's a nice pedestrian footbridge across the river, with stairs down onto some rocks that form a narrow island, used as the middle support for the bridge.  Unfortunately it's totally inaccessible, up several steps.

But there were a couple of young fishermen down on the rocks trying their luck.

Moving on I came to the big old railway trestle, now a key link in the Georgian Trail.  It has an iron span over the river, supported by heavy duty posts on each side.

I had to ride up out of the harbour and over 100 yards to get to the bridge and I took a few moments to ride across and enjoy the view.  The Georgian Trail is the rail bed of the old Northern Railway, opened in 1872 and closed in 1984.  So up until 1984 trains would still have rumbled over this bridge, serving Thornbury and Meaford.

 


13 comments:

  1. Fascinating bridges, I haven't seen bridges relying on wooden supports in a number of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something wonderful about being by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely trip. My ancestors had a mill in Thornbury.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place to visit. Bridges are always a point of interest for their viewpoints. It's a shame the pedestrian bridge isn't accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Blue Mountain is great to see. Ski slopes were unexpected for me. I like all the bridges and I am so glad you could get on the train bridge. They did a nice job with the wood for that bridge. I noticed a Victorian birdhouse in the background picture of the boys. I have too many projects to make one but I sure would be tempted. Thanks for sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good day for you to get out there. Splendid views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful area. It must be a great view from the Blue Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My pick today, the bridge, the steps, and the two lads in the distance, truly lovely greenery and looking so warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been a long time since I've seen a wood trestle bridge like that. Looks like you were able to cover some new ground on this outing. A nice collection of outdoor photos. I've oftened wondered how far you can go or how many hours you get on a battery charge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! You know what that trestle bridge reminds me off. They are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete