Sunday, June 13, 2021

A Wheelchair Highway!

 I headed back the other direction, intending to end up at the library where I had a book waiting.  When I got to the corner I thought I'd check out the new accessible sidewalk they had added to the new bridge.  Guess what - it's practically a wheelchair highway!

I passed a couple of kayakers as I neared the bridge, nice day for it.

And here is the wheelchair highway!  Wide enough for two wheelchairs to pass, with a large solid cement curb between the sidewalk and the cars.  A railing on both sides that is strong enough to stop a charging elephant!  It was great.  I just road across and returned, but if the route on the far side takes me down to the harbour wall safely that will double the area of harbour I can explore.  I can't wait.

I did stop at the library, currently closed except for drop off and pick up.  You ring the bell and in my case they wave and bring out the book, since they know me.  They remove the books I'm returning from the bag on the back of my chair and put in the new one.  I'm on my way home.  I think I like the librarians!

A horrible thick patch of Garlic Mustard beside the LCBO, ready to release a billion seeds.  I wonder how it will spread next year.

Not quite as many maple keys on the sidewalk, but a lot!

A nice patch of Poppies.

And a Black Elderberry, certainly an unusual shrub used for landscaping.


17 comments:

  1. Splendid wheelchair highway! In Missouri my Hubby called the seeds helicopters because of the way they will spin in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That new walkway ( aka wheelchair highway)is perfect!!
    I've gotten so used to showing my card through the window and having my books brought out to me that I may never have to actually go inside the library. The only downside is that I can't browse the shelves like I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poppies particularly appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful addition to your life, it seems to me. I love seeing places become more accessible to those in wheelchairs. And your librarians sound like a great bunch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great wheelchair highway that is!! Glad it is there for you to enjoy.
    Our library is now open but till offering curb side pick up for those who want it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things have come so far since my daughter was confined to her chair. Sadly though, the town close by is still doing curb cuts and changing crossing signals to accommodate ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a well thought out and engineered wheelchair highway. First one I have ever seen like that. When Goderich soon finishes their beach renovations and you come visit your sister you will be able to travel all the way from St. Christopher's beach right out to Rotary Cove. Yes, those Garlic Mustard weeds are everywhere. I haven't seen any maple keys down in my travels yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you'll be seeing a lot of garlic mustard next year -- I believe it's a biennial. That's quite the bridge they built.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your highway. Su much progress has been made. I remember back in 70-71 carrying a wheelchair guy up and down a steep flight of stairs at church. Not just me of course, there were 4 of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the highway opens up another section of harbour for you, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  11. " Wheelchair Highway" just grew, and this opens up more for you to travel and explore. Librarians, worth more than gold , I am so thankful for our public one not too far from our home, we can go in, browse, drop off and collect so easily now.The floral displays show your weather is warming up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to see that wheelchair highway. Librarians are wonderful people - when I worked with young people with learning difficulties they always made us so welcome despite the occasional torn page, scraped furniture and loud tantrums when it was time to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good to see that "wheelchair accessible" is starting to mean exactly that. I expect soon to see supercharged conveyances and races along the wheelchair highway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tour. Our library is doing the same here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the wheelchair highway is AWESOME, how wonderful for you. i wish everything were accessible, i come across areas around here that just aren't. the hubs and i had a meeting in a building the other day. i must have climbed 20 stairs to access the meeting room. no elevator...that should be required in a building of that size!!

    our library opened up recently, it's good that are still taking precautions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and we call those maple keys, helicopters, i guess because of the way they float from the tree!!

      Delete
  16. Wow that is a great wheelchair highway! Bless the Librarians!

    ReplyDelete