Monday, October 5, 2020

The Fall-to-Spring Birds Return!

 Suddenly the birds we'll see over the next 6-7 months have returned from the woods, led by the Black-capped Chickadees, visiting our feeders.  (Notice how I avoided the dreaded 'w' word in the title?)  Accompanied by Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches and a Downy Woodpecker, I can safely predict that I'd see these birds every day as long as I sit at the window enough.  They usually travel in flocks together.

They have transformed the backyard to a place of activity, and do a great deal for my psyche over the months when I can't get outside much.  In the spring they will mate and disappear to a quiet place in the woods to raise their chicks.

Not a very good picture, but a Downy Woodpecker taking a sunflower seed over to the tree to hammer it open.

And a terrible picture, but you'll have to take my word for it that it's a Red-breasted Nuthatch.  Haven't caught the White-breasted sitting still long enough yet.

I've decided to try using my bigger, heavier, but much better old Nikon camera, at least when I'm sitting at the window.  I think my wrists are now strong enough to hold it; we'll see.

One day a pair of Cardinals showed up briefly.  This is the female sitting on the feeder, its tail redder than its back.

And there have been a couple of Blue Jays dropping by.  They're fun to watch because they're such a bright blue.

Other than these the only other bird we're still seeing, that will migrate south shortly is the odd Turkey Vulture soaring above us.  A very big change in the seasons reflected in the birds rather than the coloured leaves.




15 comments:

  1. Can you have the Nikon on a permanent tripod or other stand? Something that could be fitted to your wheelchair arms, easily attached maybe? I find Hugh's Canon too heavy for me, my one is smaller for my small hands. You will be having lots of birds gather round as your days get colder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birds here are starting to form flocks which will persist through the....ermmm....fall-to-spring. I'm sure it does you good to be able to see the birds from your window. Keep us updated on what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The arrival of the Juncos always signals W to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as soon as the birds on the feeder drop enough scraps and seeds you should start to see juncos and white-throated sparrows. We seldom see chickadees or nuthatches at the feeders in the summer, but they're back now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see and hear the birds around here. I used to feed them, but my neighbors still do, and they know there will be food around here, so they are fun to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most exciting thing in my yard right now are the 20 or so robins hanging out front! I expect they are from the many nests around the yard, getting together in preparation to flock off for the winter. There are lots of nuthatches at our feeder this year, along with a variety of sparrows that we rarely saw other years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you not have any sedentary birds?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue jays are really pretty. See them around here pretty often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pictures of the birds.
    What if you mounted your Camera on a Mono or Tripod to give you more stability so you are better able to Zoom and Focus.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are having the same types of birds in our yard you are. The Blue Jays are absolutely swarming our new feeder. I agree with a couple other commenters about some kind of a tripod for your camera. I wished I could get myself to use one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always on the lookout for the "migrators" in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had our first Dark-eyed Junco of the season yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shore birds are missing here these days. The nuthatches and chickadees are around however.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i understand dreading the "w" word, for you that season must be difficult!! i am already seeing a big change of birds at my feeders. no more cat birds or hummingbirds, i miss them the most!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a great variety of birds from you timber that come in to eat. The new place where I now live just doesn't have that much variety. You have some great looking feeders.

    ReplyDelete