Friday, October 9, 2020

Boat Lifting

 On my way back from that shoreline visit I described in the last post I finally had a chance to see the whole process of lifting a sailboat out of the water for winter storage.  I knew how it was done, but it was very interesting to sit there and watch from beginning to end.

I had watched this very long, low-slung boat pull into the dock when I first arrived at the harbour.  I assumed it was having some work done.  Do you recognize it?  It's a sailboat without the mast.

Ten minutes later I was back, and the big lift was just moving onto the dock.  The long low blue boat is out of sight to the right.

The blue saiboat pulled up to the front of the slip and was secured in place.

Then the big boat lift moved further out about  5 feet, pulling the straps further under the boat.

And the big straps were pushed into the best position by the dockhands.

In a moment or two they were lifting the boat of the water.

And shortly the boat was up on dry land, waiting to be moved to its winter storage location.  The whole process took only about 10 minutes.



9 comments:

  1. Cool! I have wondered how they do it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those pulley wheels and the wires, guess the hydraulics are massive too. I wonder if all the boats come out the same way? Down here, so hard to imagine this being the way every winter, for so many boaties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen it done up close and personal but have seen the results.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating. Thanks for sharing FG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you watch as it was put in a cradle (I assume it was)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting process to observe. The machinery looks like a scaled down version of the equipmet used to move containers around the docks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen bits and pieces of this process over the years here in Bayfield's harbor but I've never had the patience to watch the whole procedure. I might have to go down to the harbor now and see how they get the boats from the lifting device onto a storage pedestal located elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is fascinating, isn't it? Technology and mechanics.

    ReplyDelete