Wednesday, October 21, 2020

A Favourite Hike I Never Did!

 You may remember 2 or 3 weeks back, an old friend arrived with apple sauce and apple muffins again.  He has a place down in the valley and we spent years out exploring areas nearby, just enjoying the outdoors.  Well we got talking and he offered to be a roving photographer for me!  So may I introduce my 'Sidekick' whose photos will occasionally show up here.

This is the iconic photo from the hike out to Lion's Head up the Bruce Peninsula.  I wanted to do this, but reached the point where I couldn't handle the distance out and back so I never did.  However I've seen lots of photos posted on Facebook hiking groups.  So this is a favourite hike I never got to do.

But about three weeks ago my Sidekick and his wife came up for a weekend hiking with a group from here in the valley and did this hike.  As you can see the whole Lion's Head headland is laced with the main Bruce Trail (red) and various side trails (dashed lines).  This is a big poster of the map in the guidebook.

Grey-Bruce Tourism has started putting up substantial signs like this in many places - like all our popular waterfalls.  It attracts visitors, but contributes to overuse too.

This hike follows the top of the cliff; there are no spots to get down the cliff safely unless you're a rock climber, but the views are spectacular!

Lots of interesting mushrooms and moss underfoot.

Later they got down to the shore just north of Whippoorwill Bay and Sidekick got these two great shots.
Thanks to Sidekick for this post.


12 comments:

  1. The last two pictures are outstanding – they really give a feeling for the area. It looks like a great place for a hike and to get good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a walk where one can take in the great scenes and the tiny detail. Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing place to hike! Your Sidekick took some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sidekick, I hope your feet are firmly on the ground when up so high. FG, great to have a friend who shares so willingly, we can all walk alongside, in a virtual world for so many of us, and enjoy those fungi colours, spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great place to hike. Love the 'D' hole in the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that fun?! Fun having friends like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long is the red trail along the edge?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic place! I love the pictures and knowing you have a Sidekick who is almost as good a photographer as you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makes me wish I had taken the time years ago when my legs were stronger to hike along the Bruce trail up there on the Bruce Peninsula. Would have loved to do that Lions Head section. Very scenic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please thank Sidekick for me. There looks to be a lot of good walking there in exciting scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics! I love this area, and have hiked a few trails there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is nice that he can share them with you. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete