Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Water

A couple of weeks ago we stopped at Walter's Falls after our Bognor Marsh outing with the Photo Group, and sat on the bridge just above the falls to have our lunch (this was before black fly season).  We had a good view of the water pouring over the mill dam, and I started playing around trying to get some 'fast' shots of the water by using a high ISO, trying to freeze the water as if fell..

Now that I've learned to take those 'slow' waterfall shots, I wanted to see how to do the opposite.  I only had to set the ISO at 1600, but these first few shots are all taken at 1/4000 of a second.  I think it did a pretty good job of stopping the falling water droplets.

I like the power of the water as it came over the top of the spillway in the dam too.

Here's a side shot; you can actually walk out on the dam to the edge of the spillway unless the water is really high.

One final sharp falling water shot.

This is the view we had sitting on the bridge, and where all the above shots were taken, except the sideview.

And just to remind you, this is the view on April 1, just after we had those two heavy rainstorms.  The water was about two feet deeper in the river, and pouring over the entire width of the mill pond dam.  Taken at ISO 100 and a 1/4 second exposure.

Of course we had to take a quick look at Walter's Falls itself while we were there.  You can walk right out to look down on it on this walkway, safely fenced so you don't fall down into the gorge!

****

There's still a frost warning here tonight, but glad to say the temperature is rising and it feels warm by late morning.  And everything is turning green very fast now, quite a contrast to Sunday morning!  But surprisingly, the leaves still have a long way to go to be fully out on the trees.

Taken today at 5 p.m.

Linking to:

15 comments:

  1. Super falling water settings, love it when they are not too frozen, still some movement, but you nailed it, every one. Down here, heavy rain, cold wind, the fires are lit , a good book and a hot coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your play with water shots had inspired me to play around with settings more. Had fun with it on a recent trip. So thanks for the inspirational photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice exercise and resulting series of shots Stew. I visited here Few years back and have been meaning to return.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, wonderful captures of the waterfalls. It seems spring is slow to arrive. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the waterfalls shots you do. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was getting a little anxious about how long it had been since I'd seen a waterfall. So I came right over here to your blog and whew! There they were. I sure like that last picture, it's almost spring in your part of the world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can hear the water rushing. Great job on these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I usually am prone to slow the shutter way down when I photograph waterfalls, I like the freeze action shots you've captured here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible waterfall shots!

    The only good thing about blackfly season is that it's short.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow awesome scenery, I like the still shots you got of the water - nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We took our barge and quads to the head of Powell Lake last weekend to see the waterfalls. We were already too late for the spring snow melt, it's been so warm so early. But there was a lot more water in the falls than our last trip in August. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love your waterfall photo's ...amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots of the water! Looks like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! You remind me that I should practice water shots!

    ReplyDelete