Monday, May 2, 2016

The Woods in May

Went for a long walk through the woods today, and found summer has started - the woods are turning green.  It's just the forest floor so far, but the canopy won't be far behind.  It was just a glorious day for going exploring.

If you look closely almost all this green is leaves of the Dog-tooth Violet or Trout Lily.  It's a carpet from one end of the woods to the other.

I find there's just something magical about being in the woods in May, and I'll be trying to get out there every day.  Today I was alone, one hiking buddy recovering from a cold, and the other gone off on a holiday!  I decided to hike a property on the east side of the valley, above the cliffs, that is actually owned by a friend.  There was a big rockfall down the cliff here that I wanted to try and find.

I spent most of my time in the woods rather than the old fields, and there were lots of trees to see.  This was one of the tallest and straightest!

Wildflowers were popping out of the ground, and a few were already blooming.  This is the ghostly purple Blue Cohosh, one of my favourites, because it's such an unusual colour when it emerges, and it grows so fast, an inch or two a day.  The tiny flower is very inconspicuous.

Lots of moss on the fallen logs and boulders too.  Another group of plants I'd like to learn to identify. 

And some of the understory was coming into leaf, like this Elderberry shining in the sun.

I managed to get all the way through to the cliff, where I got a spectacular view over the valley, and watched the Turkey Vultures soar, both above and below me.  And I did find that rockfall.

There were a few other critters in the woods, though I heard more than I saw, let alone got pictures of.  This is a White-breasted Nuthatch the way you actually see them in the distance on a tree trunk.

A few White Birch trees too.  Nothing to beat a bright white birch against a deep blue sky.

I'll be going back to get a lot more pictures this month, my favourite month of the year, starting with the wildflowers.  The light in this picture illustrates perfectly the 2-3 short weeks when the 'spring ephemerals' bloom.  It's that period when it has warmed up enough, but the leaves haven't come out on the trees yet, so the forest floor gets lots of sunlight.  This is when most of our native woodland wildflowers bloom.

I took so many pictures today I have enough posts for a week, just from this location.  But I'll be out every other sunny day this week, so I have no idea how I'm going to share them all with you.  But I'll try.  Tomorrow - the early wildflowers I found.

Linking to:

18 comments:

  1. Enjoy the trees! Brings contentment with the rest of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful your day must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've taken same fabulous pictures. I love looking straight up the tree trunk and the white birch trees look so pretty against the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos of the trees against the sky and the shots looking up the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your woods look so interesting! The woods here are mainly pine as some aspen groves. I liked the mossy rocks and beautiful view. I am also looking forward to wildflower season. We've had a lot of snow/rain moisture lately so it should bring a profusion of flowers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being in the woods before trees leaf out is a great experience as you see things you can't see when leaves are out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty - and a great place for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful trees....all so interesting.....the birch is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the third photo is my favourite, it really shows how tall that tree really is, what a nice spot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, it looks as though spring might finally come. But it sure is cold for the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I always enjoy a walk in the forest. The nuthatch is a cutie! Lovley series of photos. Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so beautiful there, so I am thrilled that you will be showing me what happens in those few special weeks. You captured some very nice shots here of the carpeted forest floor. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots-it certainly is such a treat to get out into the great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You shared with us such a wonderful walk. I am surprise to see so many small trees trying to make in the shade of all the big trees. You have a great place to visit and it does look like spring for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just lovely photo's ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh the wonderful things I get to see, following you! Lucky me!! The 4th photo is amazing, you should frame that!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right about the butterflies!
    I love the spring carpet in the forest. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete