Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Self Isolating

We decided about a week ago to just stay home and avoid any gatherings like church and coffee, mainly because I tick all the boxes for high risk.  With a compromised immune system, compromised lung function, and being over 70 (just) I really need to be careful.

Since then, advice to 'self-isolate' has spread like wildfire to the point where many here are just staying home.  All the other events we might have gone to are now cancelled anyway, including church, lecture series, and doctor's appointments.  We just have one appointment left to go to which involves a drive to Barrie tomorrow.

Along the way variations of  'self-isolating' have become clearer, from those who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 who Public Health can force to stay home, through all those who have been travelling or otherwise possibly come into contact with the virus and are asked to stay home for two weeks.  We're in the simplest category, simply choosing of our own accord to stay home.

My biggest concern in all this is for the low income population, who fear staying home because they can't afford the lost income.  And with businesses closing their doors for the duration, many will be forced to stay home.  Thankfully our government has announced a series of programs to help.  Thankfully too the costs of treatment and testing will be covered here.

I do find myself really annoyed by the panic buying.  The elderly, disabled and those barely scraping by from pay cheque to pay cheque can't fight crowds in the grocery stores, and can't afford to buy extra.  I hear of young mothers not being able to buy the baby formula they need because people are buying it as a substitue for milk!  This is plain and simple selfish!  But our local grocery store has just announced early hours when shelves are fully stocked only for seniors and disabled.

This is a testing time, testing to see if we turn out to be all selfish, protecting our own families first, or if we turn out to be generous and kind, supporting those who need it as well.  Take care and good health to you all.



16 comments:

  1. So very true, FG. I am hoping we will step up and help each other. I still haven't figured out the rationale for all the TP. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The early hours for us oldies is great, but I think 6 a.m. is a tad early for me now. We have cancelled all the renovations until at least November, not the tradies I worry about, but who they might have met on other jobs or on travel. I can happily stay home for many weeks, ample quilting to do, ample food, and YES, ample Toilet paper as well. Tissues, thought I had ample there, but at a single usze, they too are vanishing fast. Disposing into the fireplace and a burn up once a week. Things I had not thought I would ever have to do, or have family do either. Grand-daughter at University, they might be doing all lectures via a video link and work online rather than go to a lecture.And as they all eat together, one hall has 414 students!!! Mrs F.G. I hope to see your latest creations very soon. Stay safe up North.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to stay away from a lot of people too. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you and find those panic buyers and selfish hoarders annoying as well. Under your circumstances I think it's a wise decision you have made to self isolate. These difficult times are probably going to get a lot worse. Staying away from people will be the easiest part for Kelly and I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And good health to you and Mrs F.G. We too have gone into seclusion; thankfully, I can walk in the woods and we can take long drives without encountering other people or touching things others have handled. This is going to be a very challenging time for modern society where hardly anyone is self-sufficient -- and the problem is almost certainly going to last much longer than most people realize. Yes, it's going to strike the low income people very, very hard, especially here in the U.S. where it's "every man for himself" and the health care system has a very poor mechanism for helping those with a low income and no insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some of the same concerns. I am venturing out for groceries tomorrow but my wife is high risk also. She can't deal with the regular flu with complications. Take care and lets home in a week or so we can look back at it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Times like this bring out the best in people and the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping you are both able to stay Safe from this Virus.
    Went to the Seniors only at 7:00 this morning and the shelves were already empty. Waste of time.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are self isolated too. it seems the whole world is a big mess. I heard that the TP hoarding was done by working women and men who figured with the whole family home all day they would need lots of TP.
    I ordered groceries online hope I get some of my items in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. People who are buying extras to sell are a big part of the problem. They empty a shelf or two, others see it and panic and start loading up their carts. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how low-income families are supposed to manage at all. There are many people who run out of money towards the end of each month anyway and have little in the way of savings - how are they supposed to have food in hand if they need to self-isolate? Opening shops for seniors in the morning is great for those who have cars but not so good for those relying on public transport. We can do things online but not everyone has access to a computer. And on it goes.
    I have long realised that politicians are completely unaware of these people, ever since I read an interview with Mrs Thatcher who said that one of her tips for leading a happy life was to never get in debt or buy anything on credit - quite a long way from the reality of many young couples setting up home and starting a family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Take care and stay well. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your comments are right on. People need to think of others. I hope that you will be okay during this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stores here are now doing the early hours rule too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tick a couple of the dots myself. Hubby is almost 80 with limited lung capacity due to blood clot damage in 2007. We have several items that are auto filled from Amazon. Two are toilet paper and paper towels. They were due to be delivered at month's end. Received notice they were out of the product. Looking for a Sears catalog now.

    ReplyDelete