Monday, September 2, 2019

A New Wheelchair Ramp!

We're both delighted to report that I now have a sturdy, safe and comfortable new wheelchair ramp off our deck.  The carpenter arrived last Wednesday and by late Thursday we had a new ramp.  The master carpenter we hired really knew what he was doing!

Our old ramp. a flimsy metal affair that bounced under the weight of my electric chair, is removed.  And the wood is ready and waiting for construction.  We felt the old one was actually unsafe, and Mrs. F.G. wouldn't let me use it, though it was there in case of emergency.

By the end of day one the frame had been built, with patio tiles installed as a landing platform.  And the posts for the railings were in place.

Then, suddenly at the end of day two it was done.  Solid, secure and totally safe and it looks good too.

I have Mrs. F.G. to thank for the railings.  I had worried about the ramp structure, having done some building myself in the past, but Mrs. F.G. got on Pinterest and sought out pictures to share with our carpenter.  We ended up with a ramp very much like the example she chose and looking great!

The view from below - I can tell you it works just great!  Our carpenter used the fancy 'invisible' screws to hold the deck boards down, so no screws show on the surface.  Next year we hope to have wheelchair height planter boxes around three sides of the deck.

And the railing turned out very nicely.  Riding down it gives me a comforting feeling of being enclosed safely, very different from the old ramp.  It's good enough that Mrs.F.G. will let me go in and out, up and down on my own now, so a big dose of new freedom.

Anyone want a local carpenter recommended, just ask.  And this cost less than I expected.


18 comments:

  1. It does look good. Real happy for you and the freedom it brings. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece of furniture, and pavers at the bottom, lovely rails, what a delight to have those good carpenters and tradies who work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking and well constructed ramp but I have one question. When it rains that angled wood flooring will become very slippery. Having had experience with moving people in wheelchairs you will need something on that wood for traction not only for your chair but anyone walking up or down that ramp. And something dark to attract the Sun's warm rays in Spring to help with melting ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good, but from experience, Al is right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your new ramp looks wonderful. He did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a very attractive ramp. If it makes you feel safe , so much the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good . more freedom is wonderful , enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific and getting the raised planter boxes is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an inspiration. The ramp looks wonderful and will be a great way for you to get out and about on your own. Our friend John has redone the decking on our transition float. The cedar boards were 21 years old and very rotten in places. He also added new cedar boards to my floating garden where the old ones were falling apart. Next comes the cabin deck that is also 21 years old. That will be harder because we won't be able to get in and out of the cabin while it is being done. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  10. A church we attended built ramps for people that could not afford them. One summer over 40 ramps were built. So pleased you have even more freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES.

    Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich,
    powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a
    member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of
    $500,000USD. With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully
    accomplish, if you really want to be a member of the great Illuminati
    Brotherhood then contact us via: WhatsApp: +1 315 203 9948
    Email:officialilluminati999@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wheelchair ramps are really useful. They provide freedom to wheelchair users. Sometimes it needs to go up or come down that can be possible only with the wheelchair ramps. I appreciate the people who use wheelchair. Some fordable wheelchair ramps are now available that can be carried to facilitate movement with wheelchair at any place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  15. It warms my heart to hear that you now have a safe and sturdy wheelchair ramp. The quick turnaround from the carpenter is truly impressive! Having a reliable ramp like that from https://adaptaramps.com.au/access-ramp/ makes a world of difference, doesn't it? The expertise of the master carpenter shines through.

    ReplyDelete