Monday, July 15, 2019

Saturday was Jam Day!

Friday afternoon we drove out to Dykstra's farm to buy fresh strawberries for making jam.  Mrs. F.G. has always made jam - strawberry, peach, raspberry, black currant, you name it.  It's an annual summer ritual never to be broken.  Even though we don't use a lot, it gets used for small thank you gifts on various occasions when a personal touch is appreciated.  And my favourite, the black currant, does get used!

Dykstra's farm outside Clarksburg is the place to go locally, even though their main annual crop is apples.

We also stopped at Goldsmith's farm market outside Thornbury where they have a good selection of fresh veggies, meats and some baking, all local food if it's available.  They had strawberries too, and cheaper, but by going direct to the farm we got the best, biggest and freshest berries, ideal for jam making.

Look at the size of these berries!  I hope your mouth is watering.

And after several hours of hard work by Mrs. F.G. on Saturday morning, here it is, the final product, 20 jars of strawberry jam.  And I should say that Mrs. F.G. is the world's best jam maker, great taste and perfect texture.  My job was just to stay out of the way!


13 comments:

  1. We didn't make any this year. I bought black current at the local farmers market and fell in love. I like to make peach/apricot/ginger jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody used to make jam at one time and had their own fruit trees and bushes but now it's not so common here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are fortunate to have a local supplier so Mrs. FG can continue her tradition.
    Be Safe and Enjoy sampling the fruits of her labour.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oboy, I wish I had one of those jars of jam for myself. But I'll just have to imagine it from afar. It will be easier on my waistline, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My!!!! Luscious to the extreme. And as a gift, homemade jam is right up at the very top. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the markets there and nothing quite like homemade strawberry jams enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehehe, i like your job and tell mrs. f.g. i totally get it. i had an aunt who did this and taught me how, not too hard, very fun and super yummy. i would love to receive this as a gift!!!

    and the produce in the market looks super fresh and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best part of the sign is “ready picked” I think her making jam out of everything is an ambitious task. I know the results make it all worth while. The final jars are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the jam. I told Bill that I should get some strawberries to do just that but he said 'then I'd have to eat bread to enjoy it!' Hmm, dilemna but it sure looks yummy. My sister and her daughter made 20+ jars as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother would make strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry jam each summer for freezing over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That jam looks great and I would sooner be eating jam than getting into a jam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW what great looking strawberries and that finished jam must surely be appreciated by the recipients of Mrs FG's work. All the produce looked great!

    ReplyDelete