Monday, July 22, 2019

Hosta Blooming

We have more Hostas in our garden than any other single type of plant.  We had 2 or 300 at our former house, but we only brought a few here.  Still, we've got 30 or 40, so they're interesting to watch when they start blooming.

Even though they were only planted last spring, well spread out, some of them will already need to be moved next year.

I like the purple/mauve ones, and particularly like to take close-ups, so here are three pair of shots.  These are all smaller varieties, at least by the size of the leaves.



 Two Hostas in the back yard seemed to bloom in a different way.  Compare it to the above ones which all tend to have blooms emerging out of one side of the stalk, well above the leaves.  These ones have leaves on the high flower stalk, and blooms emerging from, the axil of the leaf.  Have never noticed that before, even though we've been  growing Hosta for 20 yeara.

This is the flower stalk of those two once it fully flowered.

9 comments:

  1. A hosta flower in the leaf, I had quite a few at our other home but none like that.Really beautiful, how do you keep the bugs off the leaves? I read somewhere to always grow them in pots as the snails cannot climb up the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like Hostas, but so do the slugs and snails I'm afraid. Yours look beautifully healthy and uncannibalised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like hostas too. Planted only one in the back because everyone told me that the deer would eat them. Wanted to see if they would. Watched one take a taste of a leaf and then left, never did eat it. Not yet anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had no idea there were that many varieties of hosta. We have several, most grow from a central crown, but one really spreads similar to hay-scented fern -- it has beautiful very dark blue flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, we have a lot of Hostas as well and it's nice to see them flowering. Noticed some commenters mentioned slugs but we've never had a problem with slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you Hosta photos,, and the blooms are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all kinds of flowers, and your hostas are quite lovely, too. I wondered when I saw the two different ways of blooming if they are both really hostas. I'm wondering why they are so different. But they sure are pretty and I like the purple ones best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were able to capture some great hosta blooms. I have trouble taking the shots of them as the backgrounds are busy or I don’t get all the flowers in the shot because of their height.

    ReplyDelete