Friday, July 19, 2019

Around the Block

Recently I have taken to driving 'around the block' to explore and get some fresh air.  It's not really a block but a long street that ends at a main road.  I stay off the main road, as there are no sidewalks in sight.  But I've got my bright fluorescent orange wide-brimmed hat for visibility.  Everyone I meet likes it.

Just around the corner is this beautiful patch of Day Lilies, 'Flowers of the Field' as we call them, but others just call them 'Ditch Lilies'.  As they started blooming, all the ones in the sun bloomed, but those in the shade of the hedge didn't bloom until two days later.

Brilliant orange in the sunshine.

An interesting enclosure decorated with glass lanterns and plates.

A nice small barn behind another house.

And I was quite surprised to see that one neighbour keeps racing pigeons!  I haven't seen a pigeon coop like this in about 60 years when another neighbour three doors over kept homing pigeons.  Once he allowed us kids in for a look.

 And every time I look up along one of the streets I see all these wires that keep our homes functioning.

13 comments:

  1. Nice little excursion you take down the streets, FG. I never heard of racing pigeons, which I will look up after I finish this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photographs here, those lilies are an amazing colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. All our Lilies are done until next year.
    It seems that Racing Pigeons are not as big a sport as they used to be.
    All those wires look like a typical grid.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the cooler weather heading your way.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that little hut with the glass things. Looks like a BBQ tucked away in there. My day lilies across the front field are all open. but the shaded ones at the house are holding on yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the lilies are gorgeous, i always thought they were tiger lilies. you should call the town about sidewalks on and access to that main road. if they don't get involved the americans with disabilities act will help out, you should be able to access that road!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, lovely collection of photos. I like the dayliles and the barn. Enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orange day-lilies like those are pretty common here too, sometime a patch will be of the double-flowered variety. We had several folks nearby who raced pigeons, but they've passed on and now all we see are feral birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Ditch lilies' sounds a little course for these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting course of travel for you with great photos to boot. Photos are all around us always. We just have to see them. Some days I am more receptive to seeing than others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had many Day Lilies at our other home, here the first deep yellow small one is flowering, in our winter!!! They are such hardy plants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you still using your cell phone camera mainly, or has the new Canon worked out ok?

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a young teen our home had day lilies all along one side. Mom had me wash all the windows on the outside which took some time. I was covered with chiggers by the time I was done. Did not know it till they had settled into all the places there my clothes touched my skin like waistbands, etc.

    ReplyDelete