Saturday, July 13, 2019

Church Dinner

The church we attend has a big roast dinner every summer as a fund-raising event.  A lot of volunteer work goes into it, and a lot of community members attend.  We went in the morning to help with preparations.  Several churches do something similar, and members attend other churches' events to support them as well as getting a great meal,  Sorry, I didn't get a picture of my roast beef, but it was delicious!!!  And delicious cherry pie for desert.

Turns out they didn't actually need much help that I could usefully provide, so after I had done what I could I went outside to look around.  Though we drive by it every week, it wasn't until I took a close look that I realized what a nice garden it is.

 Evening Primrose

Spirea and a Bumblebee that wouldn't turn around for a more flattering view.

 Clustered Bellwort

And a few weeds, like this Mallow.

 And this Sow Thistle.  The leaves give it away.

While we were there helping in the morning and the lights were off in the sanctuary I took the time to get a picture of this stunning stained glass window.  It's nearly 20 feet high and of course the colours represent a sunset over Georgian Bay.  This is a modern church all built on one level, so it's totally wheelchair friendly, one thing that appeals to us.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful church grounds. The window is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found that my dinners move so fast that it's hard to get a photo! The garden looks wonderful and it's great that you have an accessible church. I was glad when my mother swapped to attending a modern church, at least she didn't come home frozen to the bone after services!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely flowers, and I too love that stained glass window. I sure enjoyed going to the church dinner, or actually the garden, with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely garden and a beautiful window!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really beautiful flowers, the purple ones were my favorite (wink)!! and shame on you for not getting a picture of your dinner...the picture is the most important part!!

    pretty stained glass!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a lovely garden indeed, I'm loving the stained glass window though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad the church is wheelchair friendly. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive church window and I especially like all the colours. Wished I could remember all the flower names like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful garden flowers. Funny, how sometimes we truly DO need to stop and 'smell' (or photograph) the 'roses'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The window, the flowers, and so many together to make this a special occasion, I wish that could be all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is sure a beautiful window!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a wonderful stained glass window. Your flowers look like they are in spring mode compared to our summer now.

    ReplyDelete