Wednesday, March 16, 2016

McGowan Falls

McGowan Falls is both a milldam and a drop over a rocky ledge on the Saugeen River, just as it flows into the town of Durham about half an hour west of the valley.  We passed by on a longer drive and stopped for a few minutes; the falls was really roaring!

With the milldam included, the falls is quite wide, so I tried a panoramic shot with my iphone.  I'm quite pleased with how it captured the entire scene.

I haven't been here before during the high spring runoff, so I've never seen it with this much water flowing.  I really must get some different seasonal shots of all these waterfalls to show you the difference.

Looking a bit to the right, I captured the milldam itself, and the water was just thundering over the dam; usually it's just a trickle here, with the main flow through the channel on the left over the rocks.

In the bright sun I could expose these at a very fast speed, only 1/4000th of a second, so I did virtually 'stop' the water.

An interesting closer shot - hard to avoid the whites getting washed out a little with part of the picture so dark.

 I did try one slow exposure, this one at 1/8th of a second, giving quite a different appearance.

And today I'm trying a video; seems to work on my desktop, but not on my ipad.  No idea how it will work for you, but would appreciate comments either way!



12 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and the video is great to , it can get very loud with all that water rushing over . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, it's nice that you are playing with setting and open to learning new things about photography. I am viewing this on my iPad and the video area is white, nothing appears in that area!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video, super noisy water rushing down, and your settings show that in different ways, love the milky flow, and also the froth.I am seeing your video on my Laptop .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wide waterfall! And lots of water flowing over right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, it is a beautiful waterfall. Spring is great for seeing high water on the falls. Great photos and video. Happy Thursday, Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely waterfall and milldam. Had to look up the meaning of milldam, obvious when I thought about it. I liked the video, it works just fine, but I like the pictures better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the video worked on my mac, gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beautiful waterfall this time of year. The video works fine at my computer. I've got a waterfall coming up that I should have videoed. Next time I go, I'll shoot a video.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos of the waterfall. Spring runoff is a great time to capture them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos of the falls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your movie worked wonderfully. I like seeing the whole area. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete