Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Hogg's Falls

I'm taking you back a month or so to a winter waterfalls.  Hogg's Falls is one of the larger and more popular waterfalls around here, right on the Bruce Trail, and very easy to access from the small parking area about a mile east of Flesherton.  Still, people are always surprised when they walk in and come upon the falls for the first time.

It's about a 20 foot vertical drop over the Amabel Dolomite formation, and was once developed either as a sawmill or to generate hydro (I've read both stories) by William Hogg, in the 1870's hence its name.

It's a short 5 minute walk from the parking lot, beside the river.  This is the Boyne River, the biggest tributary of the Beaver River.  It's a popular spot to snowshoe, so it's easy to walk to in the winter as well as the rest of the year.  Apart from the trail itself, there is no other development here - no railings, no protective fence, you simply have to be careful!  I like it this way, so much more natural.

Of course you can hear the falls long before you can see it, and then suddenly, there it is as the water drops over the cliff down into the gorge below.

In the summer it is possible to do some easy rock climbing and get down to the bottom for a different view, but in the winter that would be treacherous, so I took numerous views from the trail, trying different camera settings.  I liked this one about the best, a 1/4 second exposure with a neutral density filter to control the light at that speed.

The gorge down below is beautiful, especially in the winter when spray from the falls has coated the nearby trees.

I caught this one view through the trees which I thought was interesting.

Here's a summer view from below, just for comparison.

   I took a little video to share as well.  Last time I posted one, almost all the commenters said it worked fine, though I know it probably won't work for some of you, if like me, you read this on an ipad.

Linking to:

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. Hope you get spring soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the snowy river and Hogg's Falls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you captured the water in the summer shot. Heading home after several weeks away on vacation. Loved the sun in Arizona, but it's good to be going home. My garden is calling. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a beautiful area, I guess with the snow melting it would make for more of a raging torrent of water :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos and post . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked to compare the first picture with the 1/4 second exposure picture. I like them both but they are very different. The view through the trees is my favorite one, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome looking falls. Water looks like satin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the video, as I love the rushing water. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beauty in the winter. The video works fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful falls. So much water. Winter views are magnificent but then again I'll take summer too.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always loved waterfalls...and I LOVE the summer view of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. This area is so beautiful, in both summer and winter. The last photo is stunning.

    ReplyDelete