Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Fishing - Canadian Style

I was in Meaford a few days ago and was surprised to find fishermen out on the ice by the harbour.  I've driven by here several times before, but this was the first time I've seen this.

It being a sunny day I got out of the car to take a few pictures, wondering about the line-up of pick-up trucks along the side of the road.  When I climbed over the big snowbank I realized why!  Two portable ice fishing huts.

Looking around I saw there were four altogether, but two fishermen were simply sitting on chairs beside their fishing holes.  There was a brisk north wind blowing in off Georgian Bay, and it was well below zero, so I sure hope they were dressed warmly!

This is pretty common on Canadian lakes in the winter; on some lakes if the ice is thick enough you see pick-up trucks right out on the ice, and some ice huts can be pretty substantial.  The trick is to get them off the ice at the right moment in the spring!

The delightfully lumpy ice had obviously been melting along the shoreline and refrozen.  It was treacherous to walk on, though there was no open water to fall into.

This is my usual view to the west, across the open bay toward what we all still call the 'Meaford Tank Range'.  Officially it's the 'Land Force Central Area Training Centre' for Canadian Army Reservists.  It would certainly have been frigid sitting on these benches, though the view was nice.  It's a great summer view if the waves are rolling in and the sun shining.

Next stop Christian Island, 40 km. away!    With apologies to the fishermen, but ice fishing is the last way I'd want to spend my winter hours, both cold and bored.  But I admire their stamina and dedication!

Linking to:

18 comments:

  1. Nice pictures! I especially like the shadows in the "lumpy ice" picture. Thanks for sharing your pictures so freely. I study them carefully. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos.
    They do ice fishing here at Deep Creek Lake too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's getting pretty late in the season for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks cool! It should get warmer soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are still in winter! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos but I tend to agree with you - not my thing. But I do love the photos. My husband grew up in Wisconsin and he said that every year someone would not get the truck off the ice in time and it would sink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby used to ice fish when we lived in South Dakota. He liked it, but I didn't care for it. Too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fisherman, but I definitely would not want to be out there on the ice fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great wintry beach pictures (even if my mind is set on spring now...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos . Our river has already over flowed over it's banks and has huge ice blocks in it I can imagine our lake Erie isn't that frozen anymore either as it is the warmest lake in Ontario . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very popular in Norway as well.
    Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos. We lived on a lake for several years and I never understood ice fishing...It's cold enough in the meat section of the grocery for me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok I love winter but I think even that looks too cold fo rme

    ReplyDelete
  14. What absolutely amazing landscape and scenery but wow that must be cold

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soon winter will be just a memory....to that I think we all say Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ice fishing is huge here. Lots of small lakes.

    ReplyDelete