Sunday, March 8, 2015

Inglis Falls through the Seasons

Inglis Falls, in the south end of Owen Sound, was the 6th frozen waterfall I visited recently.  It's the largest waterfalls in the region, and a very popular spot for locals and tourists alike.  I've been stopping there for most of my life on and off.  And this is one waterfall that I have pictures of from all four seasons - something I'd like to get for all of the falls I've featured recently.

Here's Inglis Falls as it is today, completely frozen over, though there are little open patches in the stream downslope from this.  This is so frozen after late February's bitter weather that people have been climbing over it - definitely not a safe thing to do!

This is the same Inglis Falls early last May, when spring runoff is still high.  And I certainly used both my tripod and a filter to get this shot, one of my favourite of the falls so far.  Do you see the rainbow?

In comparison, the summer flow is a trickle, with more rock than water; still it's a beautiful waterfalls.  This is perhaps the way most people see it, taken in mid-July.

With heavy fall rains the water volume surges again, though not as high as in the spring.  This picture was in late October last fall.  Because the falls is surrounded by Cedar trees, there's not much fall colour.

And yes, like all the others, Inglis Falls had two mills, both a grist mill and a lumber mill.  This illustration on the side of a small remaining building shows the old mill well, from both above and below.  I'm told that my Great-grandfather carried his grain to this mill to be ground.

And just a hint of tomorrow's frozen waterfall, Indian Falls, the most spectacular of all these falls I've visited recently.  Please return to see it!

All of these photos except the fall view are sunny, 
so I'm linking to:

13 comments:

  1. Amazing waterfall - and frozen too. Love seeing the seasons with the falls - gives us a good view of how it changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent, and such a contrast from season to season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice series of the falls in all the seasons. What a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty waterfall! Love the stair-stepped rock around it. And, yes, I did see the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping we'd see some photos from other seasons for comparison. Coming back for the next post? Try and stop me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The waterfall is beautiful in all seasons although it's more impressive when there's a lot of water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing this waterfall in all its changing seasons. I did see the rainbow, thanks for pointing it out. Love that shot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pictures of the falls are amazing. The second picture is the one that really caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So enjoying these posts of waterfalls. I can get on Google maps and locate them and enjoy photos taken by other folks, too. Most not nearly your quality, though. Again, thanks so for sharing your beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WoW-zers, gorgeous falls, frozen and especially flowing so beautifully in may!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's really nice to see this falls in all 4 seasons. Thanks! I remember a young man got trapped in the ice while climbing a falls in either NB or NS last winter. He was climbing and the ice gave way and a major rescue took place. It's not safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Summer and fall are my favorites. I like the definition and then the power!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great idea, showing the falls in all of the seasons and capturing the beauty of each one, FG.

    ReplyDelete