Sunday, March 1, 2015

Eugenia Falls

Eugenia Falls, the third waterfalls I visited this week, is particularly interesting because it has so much history associated with it.  All the waterfalls around here had mills of one sort or another built at them, but Eugenia Falls had a gold rush!  And it is still linked to an operating hydroelectric plant.

This is the typical picture of Eugenia Falls, usually a double stream of water (right now it's ice), falling over nearly 100 feet of the limestone cliff leading down into the Beaver Valley.  This is the closest you can get to have a full view of the falls (unless you're a drone)..

But a telephoto view reveals the frozen double cascade with it's slightly bluish colour.  Above Eugenia Falls is a small hydro dam creating Lake Eugenia, from which water is piped to a small hydro plant further north down the valley.  At this time of year most if not all of the water is siphoned off for the hydro plant; I could neither see nor hear any trace of flowing water here at the actual falls.

But you can get much closer to the falls, though the view is on a sharp angle, and you can't really see the second column of ice which is right down the cliff underneath you.

I liked this view even though it's partly obscured, because of the curled old cedar branches, and the increasingly blue colour of the ice.

Close-up, although taken through a screen of bare branches, the ice is amazing.

The gold rush at Eugenia Falls exploded in 1852, attracting many from some distance away - but it was very short-lived, as after 3 weeks they realized it was just pyrite or fool's gold, and all the fortune-seekers dispersed.

I've spent months trying to replace my dead computer, and making sure I had copies of all my pictures to transfer.  I've finally done it; this is my first post from the new computer and workstation.

Linking to:
/

24 comments:

  1. Love the bluish color of that icy waterfall. Gorgeous... When we were in Greenbriar in the Smokies on Feb. 13, it was quite cold there. The water had a greenish tint to it.....

    Great photos.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photos - love the color and the form of the ice. I've never seen such a big frozen waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing ice formations on the falls. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely waterfall! Even better that it's frozen. I like how you captured the blue hues in the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the beauty of the ice blue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am blown away by the iced over waterfalls. Such good capture. The bluey tinge makes it feel so cold. A great post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the frozen water going over the waterfall. nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see Eugenia Falls in the winter. I have only been there in much warmer weather. My favourite waterfalls in the area is
    Hoggs Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice images here FG. I really like the second one with the close up of double ice flows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos ! now for some of Niagra Falls frozen glory maybe? Good for you on getting your photos off as I have lost many in the past. I am hoping there is a better new operating system before I need another new computer rather then Windows 8.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, enjoy your new computer! Eugenia Falls has quite a history. I never think of a gold rush being in our fair province and the falls are magnificent. The blue colour of the ice is so intense and I can imagine the powerful sound of the water rushing on warmer days. I need to explore more!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful place, and your pictures are stunning! I especially like studying that crack all the way across the plume on the left. And you're right: that closeup with the shadow of the branches is wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning photos of the falls. I would rather they be running, as I love to hear the waterfalls, even better than the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic photos ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Stunning. The close-up is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazingly beautiful! Love the colour in that ice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is amazing to see the falls frozen like that. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a spectacular waterfall! I love how the ice appears blue. I have read that this is an optical effect, with the ice bending the light in the blue spectrum, not blue chemicals dissolved in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just amazing, what gorgeous views!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous view of the waterfalls. The ice is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a truly beautiful waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the computer switch. I like that horizontal crack in the ice, and the blue color

    ReplyDelete