Thursday, December 28, 2017

Winter Skies

You'll be glad to hear that we are getting some actual sunny breaks in between the almost-continuous snow flurries.  And when the sun comes out on this white landscape, it is beautiful.

It was late afternoon and the sun did come out for awhile.  I thought I might even catch a sunset, so I dug out the big snowshoes and headed out back onto the field.

It was getting close to 5, and dusk was beginning, but there was some nice blue sky overhead.

The sun had ideas of its own though and just plunged abruptly behind a distant cloud bank.

Meanwhile it was bitterly cold, so I quickly followed my trail back home.  After getting inside I checked the temperature and found it was -24°C with the wind chill - no wonder I was cold!

Today I stopped by the bay briefly, and found it in yet another of its moods.  Slushy ice is beginning to form in the sheltered cove at the shore as the water gets closer to the freezing level.

Meanwhile, out on the bay the classic winter fog bank has formed.  The water is still at 4-6°C, while the air is much colder.  The cold air picks up that (relatively) warmer moisture and a layer of cloud just sits there, with blue sky above.  If there were a steady directional wind, it would be bringing snow toward us.  About another week of these frigid temperatures to go and some record-breaking lows forecast!

****

A number of houses on the street have a snow-blowing service come by and clear their driveways.  We looked out early this morning to see that the snowplow had left a 3 foot high bank of packed snow across the front of the driveway, and shortly after one of those tractors was clearing our neighbour's drive.  I raced to finish dressing, pulled on my coat, and headed out to nab him while it was still early morning dusk.  Safe to say we now have a regular passing tractor to blow out the drive.  At least for this winter, that's a big relief.

Linking to:

21 comments:

  1. It certainly looks frigid. We've got the same cold temps in place here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are not overdoing your time outside.
    As a child my parents used to insist that I go out to play in the Snow. Even back then my extremities were always cold. Working with Extreme Heat I was in my glory. Now that I've retired and been diagnosed with Raynaud's Disease I have no problem leaving the Cold North behind at this time of year.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your snow pictures especially when the sun is bright in the sky, this were the winter days I enjoyed, not so much the extreme cold as I see you got that today. Thanks for the memories. Record colds in Kitchener today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks sooooo cold there...but so beautiful, too. I love the 7th photo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brrr. Someone has to stay 'home' and look after the fort so thank you for doing that. you are keeping us informed with your beautiful winter pictures. Interesting that the water is still that warm and the fog is something to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, you take care there!
    it is SO bitter cold up here in the ottawa valley. into the -30s last night. having a hard time keeping this old house warm enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We’ve given in to having the snow plowed as well. The amount of snow we had two years ago did us in. It is job enough to keep walkways etc. cleared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are cool snowshoes (no pun intended). Mine are so modern looking. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos are all so clear and crisp. It is sometimes hard to believe it is so cold and I know you are a lot colder. The border collie gets caught out there with iced front feet and I have to encourage him to hurry through it and come inside. That bay looks like it is getting ready to freeze in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous photos - glorious colors - but so cold. Glad you are getting your snow plowed. We have our lawn mowed in the summer - it is such a treat to have someone else do the big stuff these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, that wall of snow across the driveway end is the pits. We sure haven't seen blue skies more than a couple hours since the snow started. I like winter, but the blue makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful scenes!
    Best Wishes for a wonderful 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see real wooden snowshoes instead of aluminum and plastic. We were at our son's place two days ago and the temperature was just about the same as you had, but not much snow -- clear blue sky with no breeze, an absolutely beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy seeing these scenes, even if it is cold enough to make it uncomfortable to be outside. I love the snowshoe track picture. Brrr! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, wow gorgeous snowy scenes. But those temps are way too cold. I am glad you arranged to have the driveway cleared. Gorgeous photos! Have a great day and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still have to get myself some of those snow shoes and learn how to walk in them. Will come in handy up at HT.
    Snow and sunshine make for some gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it looks so cold but so beautiful, i love the snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dusting of pink across the sky is such a nice contrast to the snow and the blue ... I like the shot looking backward at your tracks. Well done for getting out even despite the temps! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, I went by to say hello, since I've been disconnected from everything for a long time. As always I love your work. That I still think that they are not chapucillas, but great works. A kiss.
    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete