Saturday, August 16, 2014

Turkeys and other Critters

Every now and then I spot a variety of wild critters around the valley in mid-summer, or right here in the yard.  There are many more species you don't see often if ever, but you know they're out there.  Here are a few from the past couple of weeks.

We regularly see Wild Turkeys nearby, usually out in the middle of farm fields picking up spilled grain - we'll see lots of them in the next few weeks.  But this group was wandering along the mowed grass in front of a fence when I stopped to photograph them.

One stood pondering the fence ....

... before flapping up and flying noisily on into the bushes.

We often see deer in the fields, usually just like this but further away, standing in the evening sun.

Have you ever  tried to photograph a Cabbage White butterfly?  I don't know any other species that flutters away so fast, and rarely lands!  And when it does, it doesn't perch nicely on top of a flower, it seeks out a sheltered place deep among the grasses or leaves, like this one.

And of course we have our ubiquitous chippies squeaking from the old stone fencerow.  They seem to have accepted the fact that I'm not going to let them into the house - perhaps after realizing that 7 of their relatives have disappeared - trapped and relocated to happier hunting grounds.  They don't realize how lucky they are!

Linking to:
http://viewingnaturewitheileen.blogspot.ca/




11 comments:

  1. Nicely captured critters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collection of images.. The wild turkeys are cool visitors. And the deer is so pretty. The butterfly is pretty and I always love the cute chippies.. Great critter post! Thank you for sharing your post with Saturday's Critters. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photography is wonderful. Your ability to see these is a blessing many do not have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The deer, when they hear you, are always alert, always watching you. I've seen the odd flock of wild turkeys out in the woods here and there, but less often than deer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of critters for this Saturday. The wild turkeys would have my hubby all excited, as he loves to hunt. Next up here is Dove Season, then I think Deer Season. I'm kind of a "bambi hugger", but I do enjoy the feast of venison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely variety of critters. I wish we had a few chippies nearby, they are so adorable! The deer shot is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!:) So many lovely creatures you found to photograph, and nicey done. I know exactly what you mean about the Cabbage white, such a difficult butterfly to capture. How I would love to see Chipmonks here, they are so cute, I'm glad you relocated the others,.. I do the same with field mice. Love your deer shot too!
    Have a happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful shots of the critters. I love the deer and the chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have deer, but I've never seen a wild turkey, Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little critters. The chipmunks always make me smile, even if they are little marauders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying to picture the damage wild turkeys and chipmunks can do to a garden. It's enough for me fighting deer, rabbits, voles, moles, squirrels, and weeds. Great photos of all the animals. I had a cool experience with a deer, headed for my fallen apples, I waved it along, and it hesitated then passed by me to the apple tree and ate while I was working not far away. I saw it peeking at me through the raspberries in wonderment.

    ReplyDelete